Buying Specs on line.....good idea or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Booked in for an overdue eye test at Specsavers tomorrow.
Prices seem to be going higher all the time so am thinking of trying online.

My Bro was pleased with online but his are only for reading............I wear vari focals which I imagine are more tricky.

Any recommendations......or otherwise?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For a simple prescription I have done it many times. I would not consider it for something complex like varifocals where fit is absolutely crucial

Not glasses but I order my contact lenses online. I use VisionDirect.

I'll try any of these suggestions though as I am due a new pair or 2.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I bought some varifocal reactive/ transitions cycling glasses online. They were absolutely fine. I had tried on a blank lenses frame at a cycle show so i knew the frames fitted my head etc, but the lenses were just done straight off my specsavers prescription and are spot on.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
For a simple prescription I have done it many times. I would not consider it for something complex like varifocals where fit is absolutely crucial

I disagree. I have bought many pairs online and never had an issue. Every supplier wants a photo and measurements in exactly the same way as an optician does, there really isn't any alchemy in it - and if they do need tweaking, then Vision Express will do that foc, even if you offer to pay.

My current pair are frames from eBay, which would alone have been £200+ (for c£70) and glazing with top-spec hairyfocals* for just over £100 or so.

Notionally a pair of £500ish glasses for £200.

*Which really aren't complex, tbh

vickster

Legendary Member
Booked in for an overdue eye test at Specsavers tomorrow.
Prices seem to be going higher all the time so am thinking of trying online.

My Bro was pleased with online but his are only for reading............I wear vari focals which I imagine are more tricky.

Any recommendations......or otherwise?

You'll need the PD measurement which opticians can be unwilling to supply for obvious reasons.
I used spex4less and have used a couple of others for Oakleys for cycling, single vision, don’t get on with varifocals

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You'll need the PD measurement which opticians can be unwilling to supply for obvious reasons.
I used spex4less and have used a couple of others for Oakleys for cycling, single vision, don’t get on with varifocals
You need a ruler 😊

Please don't buy Oakleys nowadays if you can avoid it (vendetta alert - I would never do business with the group that both brutalised them, and will diminish quality whilst simultaneously hiking prices) Google is your friend 😠

vickster

Legendary Member
You need a ruler 😊

Please don't buy Oakleys nowadays if you can avoid it (vendetta alert - I would never do business with the group that both brutalised them, and will diminish quality whilst simultaneously hiking prices) Google is your friend 😠

? I’m perfectly happy with my Bottle Rockets, onto second pair.
No reason to spend time hunting an alternative frame (most other direct glaze options are horrid especially the cheaper ones).
I’ll continue to buy what works for me, if you wish to do otherwise that’s your prerogative

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
? I’m perfectly happy with my Bottle Rockets, onto second pair.
No reason to spend time hunting an alternative frame (most other direct glaze options are horrid especially the cheaper ones).
I’ll continue to buy what works for me, if you wish to do otherwise that’s your prerogative

I know. I was making you aware of something. I asked nicely. 😊

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
🤷‍♀️
Right but I have no issue with the specs I have, granted the new ones are still a couple of years old (and an older frame design)
I just have a thing about one of the most toxic corporations I know - their effect on the market has, IMHO, been entirely negative.

I've seen it recently with their acquisition of a formerly hugely well-respected brand for fishermen. Quality issues, refusal to honour warranty claims, and more. But there's plenty on t'web so I will upshut now :cheers:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've just been having a look at them and think I will order some pairs for a home trial, I'll work out prices later but if I can do it all by mail order I'd rather do that.

I used them a few years ago for a spare pair of distance glasses for driving and was really pleased with them. Comfier and just as good as my optician’s pair.

Top Bottom