Bypassing a gemstone ? In praise of the Borders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

So you walk onto the train at Euston and heads north across the border. You cast a glimpse at the rolling landscape when arriving at the border and haste towards Perth, Pitlochry and that area for a bike holiday.

I am starting to wonder if those of you heading north are all doing a big mistake. During the last ten-twelve years, I have dipped into the area at the borders called The Southern Uplands and the Borders. I have also cycled the road from Newcastle over Otterburn, Hawick and Peebles to Glasgow. That ride is a stunning ride, btw. In particular the ride up the river through Peebles which really dropped my jaw to the floor.
Yesterday, I cycled through the Southern Uplands from Lanark via Crawfordjohn to New Cumnock. A brilliant bikeride. The same can be said for the ride over Wanlochhead too, which I did some years ago. The Galloway hills area is also excellent and so is the minor coastroads between Dumfries and Stranraer, I have heard. I will investigate them later this summer, btw.

I believe that the Scottish islands like Mull, Skye and the Western Isles probably has the best bikeriding and scenery anywhere in Europe and is well worth going for by the night train from London. But the rest..... ? Some of my best bikerides has been in the Southern Uplands. Peebles and the river valley surrounding it is without doubts one of the prettiest places in Scotland. The border crossing at Carter Bar (A68) is like Moses arriving at Kanaan's land (where the bikeriders can drop into Scotland whereas Moses could not). Probably the finest border crossing in the British isles. Well, remove the word probably. It is the finest border crossing in the British isles.

Terrain wise, the Borders and Southern Uplands is not as steep as the Highlands. But scenery wise, the Borders is on par with the Highlands. Yes, there is more sheep and more farmfields there. But you still have some high mountains and tens of miles with desolate moor cycling. You also have a lot of river canyon cycling (as in the road from Crawfordjohn to Sanquhar) and other dramatic features (like line dancing sheep).

I believe you all are missing out on something really special by not jumping off the train just before the Borders and then ride through the Borders to Glasgow/Edinburgh and then end the holiday there or go further north again to the likes of Pitlochry.

Or am I wrong ? I am just raising this issue as a matter of a debate and to raise awareness of this area. An area I am..... well, I am now incoherent rambling. Period. The thread is open for your views and opinions.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've seen rivers, hills and mountains in my time but line dancing sheep is the clincher!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Line dancing sheep? You need to get some, put on a show in Glasgow, people pay money for this sort of thing!

OP
OP
T

toroddf

wanlochhead.jpg

Sheep aside....... Wanlockhead, the highest village in the British isles. 1531 feet above sea level on the road between Thornhill and Abingdon.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm going to be in Dumfries and Galloway this coming weekend and indeed have been there every May Bank holiday weekend for the past five years. I keep telling myself that I need to pay a visit with my bike and tent but have been lured away by the call of the Loire, Doubs, Rhine and Danube.

I've cycled through the border region when doing the Coast and Castles Route from Edinburgh to Newcastle via Innerleithin, Coldstream and Galashiels and enjoyed it immensely.

I fully intend to tour in the area but there's other regions and countries whose allure is just as great.

stephenjubb

Über Member
you are correct, in last 3 tours always took the train from york. this time I am cycling upto scotland.

cannot wait

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You're selling it to me toroddf. Like Vernon I head south for the different culture, languages, scenery and sun but I really must head north sometime soon. The risk of inclement weather is one thing that puts me off but I'll man up.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You're selling it to me toroddf. Like Vernon I head south for the different culture, languages, scenery and sun but I really must head north sometime soon. The risk of inclement weather is one thing that puts me off but I'll man up.
there's a spare seat on the LonJoG coach back!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
there's a spare seat on the LonJoG coach back!
'She' may not be amused! Unless your post was directed at her, of course:whistle:

OP
OP
T

toroddf

For those wanting to enter Scotland the proper way and not by train, may I suggest A969 to Otterburn and then A68 over Carter Bar to Peebles. It is a brilliant ride.

I went over Crawfordjohn two days ago and here is a couple of pictures....

crawford10.jpg
crawford6.jpg

Top Bottom