C25K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Lewis

Hi Guys

I have started using the C25K app, I really got into running last year before getting injured and have started back on it over the last couple of weeks - Has anyone on here used this running app aswell as continuing cycling? If so did you have any specific training methods - I need to shed about stone and think I will do it comfortably.

Any tips you have would be great

Idoru

I started running using the C25K programme and it put me in good stead. It took me from no running to a comfortable (if not fast) 5k by following the plan strictly and repeating any weeks that felt particularly hard.

One of the most important aspects of the plan is the rest parts, doing too much is a guaranteed way to get injured, but that being said a lot of plans consider cycling as a form of cross training as it is "non-impact".

I'd be tempted to do both, but watch your fatigue levels, running when fatigued can lead to bad form and then to injury if you keep plugging away at it. More so at the start of any running programme as you're basically getting your body used to the level of impact and effort involved with running.

They quote a calorie usage of about 100 calories (1 Hob Nob) a mile (hugely, wildy approximated) so you'd need to run about 35 miles a week to burn off a pound of fat (assuming 3500 calories per pound of fat). So don't rely on running to shed the extra winter weight all on its own. Most weight loss happens in the kitchen in my experience.

I currently run and cycle as part of my fitness goals and find that I have to be careful to ensure that I've recovered adequately between sessions to ensure I don't build up too much fatigue.

OP
OP
S

Steve Lewis

Im doing 3 days on C25K first 2 weeks covering 2 - 2.5miles and week 3 starting to hit 3 miles - I was thinking of incorporating just a 6-8mile gentle Bike ride on the off days just to keep the legs ticking over

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm two sessions in with C25k and continuing cycling as well. It's a bit early to say how one is going to affect the other, but it will be interesting to see how it goes as I haven't really run for 14 years :blush:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The best way to start running, I didn't know there was an app, maybe this could get me back into jogging again.

Top Bottom