C2C in a couple of weeks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee-M

I have made all my arrangements (just train tickets actually) to do the C2C east to west and upon some belated research it appears I should be going west to east .

Has anybody gone Tynemouth to Whitehaven and are there any nasty surprises I ought not to know about ?

D

Deleted member 23692

Don't expect a welcome rest at Hartside Cafe - it burnt down earlier this year. There's sometimes a burger van in the car park, but not always. Stock up at the Spar in Alston beforehand.

You may find yourself battling a headwind, but you will rewarded by travelling towards the better scenery :smile: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lee-M

Lee-M

Hopefully the wind will be calm for a few days. I liked the idea of ending up in the Lake District rather than heading towards Newcastle . Not that there is anything not to like about Newcastle . I once went through it on coach.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have made all my arrangements (just train tickets actually) to do the C2C east to west and upon some belated research it appears I should be going west to east .

Has anybody gone Tynemouth to Whitehaven and are there any nasty surprises I ought not to know about ?

Hopefully the wind won't be against you. A couple of years ago I cycled east to west (WOTR route) & then back east & was very lucky with no major headwinds, but at present there are strong westerley winds which won't do you any favours :blush:

It's a while since I did the C2C route, but don't think the hills are as steep going from the east, although you'll start with a long steady climb up towards Stanhope (think it's Stanhope, been a long while) It was a nice end to the route going west to east ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You will start with either flat or a steady drag up as far as Parkhead Station.

Opinions vary about the next bit, but I reckon descending on the B road down Crawleyside Bank to Stanhope is simplest.

Sight lines are good, but it's worth knowing there are a couple of sharp bends at the bottom of Crawleyside, which is also where it is steepest, so be wary of arriving too hot.

Top Bottom