C2C in May with my 11 year-old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's not much compared to riding PBP last year, but in May/June I'm riding the C2C from Workington to Sunderland with my 11 year-old. Rather than do it in 2 days we're going to Keswick on the first afternoon, then Alston, then Sunderland as a 2 1/2 day ride.

He's ridden 50 miles before in a day but this will be the biggest ride he's done to date. Oh, and I've said he can't ride his new Argon Krypton so it'll be on his 26" wheel Islabike Luath instead. I know, bad Dad :dry: but I'll be either on the cross bike or something similar and carrying most of the kit so there's no way he's having it easy :tongue:

Why are we doing this? In August this year we're off to South Africa and Swaziland to help on a charity project. This is to fund-raise for them, not for us as we're paying our own way.

I'm looking forward to it ... :bicycle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
(please forgive my ignorance or any offence caused by my curiosity....)

The Argon Krypton looks to be a very very nice bike indeed but with a very very high price tag with the cheapest going for £1400 on ebay for an XS model

Do you not worry about your son growing out of the bike? even £1000 on a bike is a huge investment for a boy thats soon to be or already hitting puberty.

I mean if you're within the reaches of the UK's top earners then money is obviously no object then fair play to you. But when he hits his growth spurt and outgrows the bike in a matter of two or three years its almost like money down the drain unless you're happy to sell it on at a lower price or give it away to a family member who is the correct height for the bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's not much compared to riding PBP last year, but in May/June I'm riding the C2C from Workington to Sunderland with my 11 year-old. Rather than do it in 2 days we're going to Keswick on the first afternoon, then Alston, then Sunderland as a 2 1/2 day ride.

He's ridden 50 miles before in a day but this will be the biggest ride he's done to date. Oh, and I've said he can't ride his new Argon Krypton so it'll be on his 26" wheel Islabike Luath instead. I know, bad Dad :dry: but I'll be either on the cross bike or something similar and carrying most of the kit so there's no way he's having it easy :tongue:

Why are we doing this? In August this year we're off to South Africa and Swaziland to help on a charity project. This is to fund-raise for them, not for us as we're paying our own way.

I'm looking forward to it ... :bicycle:
Happy trails fella's sounds good fun. Camping?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@RoubaixCube - it's 'new' to him. The bike's lightly used and we've bought it, along with a pair of carbon race wheels, for him to continue racing in BC's under 12's and the under 14's category next year. Yes, it's well equipped as this one has Campag Record but we've (just) kept the whole package under our £1000 budget.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
when riding this in 2012.

It was around this time some improvements were made to the C2C at the County Durham/Sunderland end, so you might be pleasantly surprised by some of the surfaces.

Don't forget to bring a pebble.

pawl

Legendary Member
No - B&B in Alston (a nice one I stayed in when riding this in 2012). Hopefully the YHA in Keswick.

If it's open after the flooding
If you are using the trail from Kesick toThrekeld there is a bridge down.Not sure exactly where or if there is a way round other than by road.

Citius

(please forgive my ignorance or any offence caused by my curiosity....)

The Argon Krypton looks to be a very very nice bike indeed but with a very very high price tag with the cheapest going for £1400 on ebay for an XS model

Do you not worry about your son growing out of the bike? even £1000 on a bike is a huge investment for a boy thats soon to be or already hitting puberty.

I mean if you're within the reaches of the UK's top earners then money is obviously no object then fair play to you. But when he hits his growth spurt and outgrows the bike in a matter of two or three years its almost like money down the drain unless you're happy to sell it on at a lower price or give it away to a family member who is the correct height for the bike.

Sounds like you've never watched any youth racing...?

Citius

That's fair, although I believe DC's lad does race, as does mine. You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would, I don't know) the amount of money that some parents spend on youth racing kit. It does get outgrown, but when it does, it gets moved on. Adults do the same thing...

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@RoubaixCube & @Citius - I've seen the amounts some people spend for their kids; hand-built bikes costing £000's in Under 12's along with team support. Sponsor's bikes are becoming more evident but this puts lots of pressure on young children.

My youngest was bothered by having a sponsor's bike offered so we agreed a £500 budget for his bike in the Under 10's and start of Under 12's, which we kept to. The Felt we bought then will be sold shortly.

Unfortunately he's grown a bit this past year so the Argon should last him a year or so and then, yes, we'll move it on.

Lots of interest

Do allow time to explore the artwork such as Terra Novalis

0826-115-sculpture-spokes.jpg

Makes a pleasant change and exercises non-cycling muscles

Top Bottom