C2C November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee-M

I fancy a winter challenge and thought the c2c would be a good starting point . I don't particulalry want to drive to Newcastle from the south so the next option was Virgin trains . If I prebook I can get a return for about £60 but this would mean doing the c2c return . The question being if I book the dates giving five days cyling is this enough to get from Newcastle (Tynemouth) to Whitehaven and back again ? Usually 70 miles a day isn't a problem but if the terrain is tough going I may cut it a bit fine catching the train.

alicat

Legendary Member
Could you book two one-way tickets - up on the west coast and down on the east coast.

If not, six days would be better since it gives you a bit of slack.

OP
OP
Lee-M

Lee-M

That is not a bad idea and if I was a bit brighter than I looked I may have thought of that myself . Just checked Virgin West Coast and a one way from Whitehaven to London is £26 advanced ticket . Happy days. Will be checking bike reservations next.

Prevailing wind means most people travel from the west coast to the East for the c2c. Pretty hilly on the whole!!

ianbarton

Veteran
You can't take your bike on the Newcastle metro, so you will have to ride back into the centre of Newcastle. Also, you can't pre-book bikes on the Carlisle to Workington train. There are only 3 bike places.However, if you have a decent conductor, you may be allowed to sit with your bike next to the bike rack.

Top Bottom