C2C on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dobo

northern monkey
LOOKING TO DO THE C2C WITH A FREIND WHO ONLY HAS A ROAD BIKE. WHICH IF ANY ROUTE IS DOABLE ON A ROAD BIKE.

REGARDS

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Most of the route is ok on a road bike, probably about 90%+
There's an awful lot on roads & most of the tracks are ok too. I did whitehaven to sunderland & on the first day before Keswick there was one section that i found tough on a hybrid, so that'll be one bit to walk for him :biggrin:

killiekosmos

Veteran
I'd plan the route in advance to cope with road bike. (Stay away from Stanhope Common!).

From memory the bit before Keswick (going East) has some rough bits unless you re-route.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Providing that you don't slavishly follow the route, a road bike is fine for the C2C - just don't do the off road sections.

Walney to Wear is also doable on a road bike apart from one short stretch of off road near the tan hill where a short dismount and push would be prudent.

toekneep

Are we talking about the C2C south of the Scottish border? If so there are two signposted routes, one on the road and one off road. Obviously the road route will be fine and sections of the off road one will be possible but not all.

sadjack

Just done the C2C and the Reivers routes on a loaded tourer with tents etc. On the off road parts I had no mishaps and the 700x32 tyres were fine.

I would not really want to do it on a light road bike with thin tyres tho!

Enjoy!

bagpuss

Guru
I shall be doing this soon. I will come back with feed back on road surface conditions,photographs,b & B s used.Tyres will be 700x 25 gatro skins Mercian with a triple.Using route 71 and 65? 180 miles in three days then home to Derby.About 320 miles.May increase to 370 if weather good.
Route out line .
Day 1.St Bees to Appleby in Westmoreland 65 Miles.Day 2 Appleby to Northalerton. 55 or there abouts.Day 3 Northalerton to Robin Hood Bay 60 ish miles.
Day4 Witby to Derby .Making it up as I go depends on other riders.

Top Bottom