C2c/ Tpt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ratty2k

Sorry for the abbrieviations!:smile:
I imagine that there are a fair few on this board that have done the C2C and the Trans Pennine trail. I'm looking at doing either (maybe both) at some point next year. I see that there are off road sections mentioned on the C2C, and am wondering as to the severity of these. I have mountain bikes, and my Kaffenback which is my prefered bike for these. Question is- Is the Kaffenback suitable? If its just dirt tracks that aren't too rough I'm pretty sure it would be.
Also I've considered/ing the Reivers route, so anyone with some input on any of the routes mentioned, please help a guy who is about to do his first long distance ride- hopefully around late springtime.....:blush:

I've not done either and somebody will be along soon I'm sure. In the meantime have a look at http://www.reivers-guide.co.uk/ and http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/ and http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Kaffenback suitable for the sections I've done between York and Conisborough on TPT certainly. There are a few dodgy sections like a wood north of Doncaster and one north of Selby you're not likely to go along. Quite a bit of it goes along a canal. If you don't like any of the sections there are nearby alternatives in the form of country lanes aplenty. Not gone too far on the bit to Hull though so can't help you there.

ash68

hello ratty2k, I've done the c2c on my touring bike last year, no probs. Any sections you have to do off-road are mainly old rail tracks etc and perfectly suitable if you have touring wheels and tyres.Not recomended for skinny tyres and wheels. The Reivers route, also done on a tourer, but is alot rougher in places. The route on the Waggonways from Tynemouth to Ponteland is quite rough in places, then from Matfen to Bellingham it uses alot of tracks through fields and then on into Kielder forrest on "rough forrest roads " once past Bewcastle the roads are pretty good to Whitehaven. As I say still possible on a tourer or your Kaffenback but certainly not the smoothest of rides.

DLB

hi ratty

i did the TPT completely in the summer and really enjoyed it. both my friend and i used hybrid bikesa nd found the going for 99% of the time fine. There was a small bit going over the pennines where we had to get off and push as the route was full of boulders and small rocks.

sorry, i can't comment on the bikes you mentioned as i don't know what they are like, but most of the route is on canal paths and good quality limestone based paths so you should be ok

oh and the TPT is supposed to be easier than the c2c.

hope, whichever you choose, you enjoy it as much as i did

I did the TPT in JUly this year, but had to abandon between Penistone and Sleby die to the flooding in Doncaster and Bentley areas.

I did it on a recumbent!

Woodhead_Pass.jpg

Although it was a little bit wet in places!

2004_0101TPT20070008.jpg

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Thanks for the replys!!!!I've been looking at the sites, and in places they mention that its not doable/ or regrettable if you do parts on a road bike- Rievers IIRC. But I ride a little way on the TPT going to work (Warrington) and just wondered what the rest was like, its more likely that we'll do the TPT as the logistics are far easier for a first tour. Living in a town that it passes thro is a big help there!
I realisethat I can bypass many of the roughest section of the routes, but its nice to here peoples actual experience of them- especially as I'm still a bit daunted by the prospect at the minute! Looks like the Kaffenback will be the best choice for all round riding. Regarding tyres and wheels..... just what do people think of as a touring size? I'm used to running MTB sizes of 2.1x26 upto so 2.35's on one of the bikes (and just to confuse the issue I now have a 29er!) The Kaffenback is fitted with 34mm CX Vredestien Premato's (IIRC)
Starting to look forward to it now, even thou its prob 5 months or so off!
On the TPT, any places that people recommend for an overnight stop? Looking basically for good B&B's or pubs.

DLB

if you are going to do the TPT you MUST buy the east and west versions of the TPT maps from the office in barnsley (otherwise you WILL get lost). The maps and signposts are mostly good but occasionally they are very confusing and without the maps we would never have mangaged the tour. It was my first tour and i couldn't fault it and i'm not a particularly strong cyclist.

at the same time as getting the maps get the accomodation/ bike shop etc guide book which is pretty useful. about £18 for all 3 when i got them in June.

if you have any more qns then just ask.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ratty2k said:
Sorry for the abbrieviations!:smile:
I imagine that there are a fair few on this board that have done the C2C and the Trans Pennine trail. I'm looking at doing either (maybe both) at some point next year. I see that there are off road sections mentioned on the C2C, and am wondering as to the severity of these. I have mountain bikes, and my Kaffenback which is my prefered bike for these. Question is- Is the Kaffenback suitable? If its just dirt tracks that aren't too rough I'm pretty sure it would be.
Also I've considered/ing the Reivers route, so anyone with some input on any of the routes mentioned, please help a guy who is about to do his first long distance ride- hopefully around late springtime.....:blush:

The C2C is doable on a road biek - I've done it on both a road bike and a tourer. The hills made it quite difficult with normal road gearing but the mountain bike gearing on my touring bike despatched them with ease. There are one or two off road sections shown as alternatives to road sections and these bits are unsuitable for road bikes. You should be able to do any of the route on your Kaffenback.

The Tran Pennine Train is longer but not as challenging as far as hills go. There are muddy and pot holes sections someof which pass through areas once served by the sisused railtracks that you'll be riding on. It's a bit grim in places but is a decent ride overall.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Heh, its grim up north! Yeah, I live in one of the industrial towns on the TPT. And I view it as a nice way of getting away from the traffic. And a wee bit more scenic to boot. Got to have a chat now with my mate who's said yes so far, but lets see what his wife says!
Thanks again for all the help, I'm gonna have a pint with him soon and get a couple of maps for the areas and see if we can start to plan something should we not do the TPT. I really like the Reivers route, as I think it'll be probably the mose scenic. I got to Northumberland on hols once a year, and have been thro' the boarders going to Glentress on the MTB.
Time for a pint and a chat methinks!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ratty2k, the TPT is marked (not as TPT) on the pink landrangers (and some of the orange ones with better scale) very clearly and these are available to borrow from any good library or you may know someone who has one. The pink ones are 50 000/1 and things are marked very clearly. Mine would get me from where I live to halfway to Hull and any minor alterations I'd want to make. Just a thought to save money.

Top Bottom