C2W Scheme - Proof of 50% worth of commuting??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Should be able to do it now. Check your account on the website?
Yeah done that. At the moment I'm in the "Collected" stage rather than the "Decision Time" stage. So the question is how long before I can expect my decision email? I have a bike shaped gap in my conservatory. Well I don't obviously cos it's currently occupied by two bike with the other one being in the shed but you know what I mean.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think they sent me the 'decision email' the month after my last instalment, but I'm not 100% sure, I left it around 4 months between first and second bike because I didn't want to buy the Synapse in November and have its life start with winter riding.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I think the scheme is open to abuse, and unfairly benefits a (fairly) small number of people.
It should be scrapped.

But they should also remove the VAT from all bikes and cycling components/accessories. That would reduce the cost for everyone and may encourage those with lower disposable incomes to look at buying a bike or indeed repairing an old clunker.

PK99

Legendary Member
Personally I think the scheme is open to abuse, and unfairly benefits a (fairly) small number of people.
It should be scrapped.

But they should also remove the VAT from all bikes and cycling components/accessories. That would reduce the cost for everyone and may encourage those with lower disposable incomes to look at buying a bike or indeed repairing an old clunker.

No VAT on a £5000 time trial bike?

wilkotom

No VAT on a £5000 time trial bike?

Why not? The number of bikes sold above about £1k must be minuscule compared to the number below. Adding exceptions increases the cost and complexity of such a scheme disproportionately - how do you decide where the cut-off point is? If it's at a certain price, how do you decide when that's re-evaluated. Then you've got loopholes (pay for each component separately, and a small VAT-rated charge for assembly for example). Plus retailers will have additional costs in making sure they correctly record VAT and non-VAT sales accordingly.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Why not.
Makes it open to everyone.

In fact why not go further and scrap VAT on all sports equipment?
If this reduces the tax intake too far we could always stick an additional tax onto car purchases. Might encourage a few more people to get off their arse and exercise.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It should be scrapped.

Bizarrely as I'm one of the small number of people that gets a good benefit from it (effectively almost a half price bike on an interest free loan), I kind of agree with you. I think the Treasury should look more closely at the final payment bit. When the scheme was first launched I think it worked well, everyone got a good deal (admittedly 40% earners still got a better deal) and I think it should be taken back to that. Advertise it as "If you cycle to work, you'll get an interest free loan and a tax rebate on your bike" and I don't think you can lose.

Top Bottom