C2W Scheme - Proof of 50% worth of commuting??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
"Motoring-related taxes for fiscal year 2011/12, including fuel duties and VED, are estimated that will amount to more than GB£38 billion, representing almost 7% of total UK taxation."
And it's still not enough to cover the total cost.

PK99

Legendary Member
Give it up DC - the idiot will argue black is blue next. What you're doing is within the rules so stuff what anyone else thinks. If they're really that bothered get them to put some effort in and get the rules changed!

What Philip Green does. What Starbucks does. What Amazon does are all within the rules.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm equating taking as much as possible from the taxpayer even when there is no need with, er, taking as much from the taxpayer as possible when there is no need.
No, you said "fiddling his expenses" which is fraud. The things you now describe are legal, just as DCL's use of a tax avoidance scheme to obtain more benefit is legal.

As I say, you can criticise the morality if you wish, but you can't equate tax avoidance with criminal behaviour.

jarlrmai

Veteran
At my last job there were at least 3 people who had cycle to work bikes gathering dust in their garages, while they drove 10 miles to work.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't people who use the cycle to work schemes actually taxpayers too? Given they are in work and presumably paying tax? I think knees up is a little bitter that c2w doesn't apply to him, but then I don't think he commutes to a place of work (could be wrong). I am sure there are taxation rules / accounting guidelines for the self employed that are beneficial versus paye. I have friends who are self employed, similar salary to me, who seem to pay far less tax!

PK99

Legendary Member
I think it comes down to individual conscience....so no point trying to split hairs on that.

The objective of the C2W scheme is to encourage cycle commuting, and make it easier for people to afford to buy a bike for commuting.

Using the scheme multiple times to subsidise a hobby is unethical.

Paul99

Über Member
The objective of the C2W scheme is to encourage cycle commuting, and make it easier for people to afford to buy a bike for commuting.

I have had a bike for the last 2 years on C2W. 1st was a CX, 2nd a 29er. CX is used spring, summer, autumn. 29er in the winter. I don't think this is unethical.

I wasn't going to get another bike on the scheme in October. Think I might now.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Aren't people who use the cycle to work schemes actually taxpayers too? Given they are in work and presumably paying tax? I think knees up is a little bitter that c2w doesn't apply to him, but then I don't think he commutes to a place of work (could be wrong). I am sure there are taxation rules / accounting guidelines for the self employed that are beneficial versus paye. I have friends who are self employed, similar salary to me, who seem to pay far less tax!
I'd have thought a decent accountant would have got @KneesUp a way of claiming back costs on a bike that he could justify as a work expense. I have a friend whose accountant claims back his breakfasts every morning. There are lots of things you can do if you're self employed, a good accountant comfortably pays for themselves on that front.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K

I suggest for your ethics you stick at one then. Mine, much like @Paul99 were perfectly comfortable with me owning 2. They do different commuting jobs. I do more cycle commuting miles because I own both. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike I wasn't intending to commute at all and when we bought my wife a bike we did it straight from the shop, but then that's my choice. I've friends who are comfortable with doing stuff like that, that's theirs. I'm pretty sure none of us are having restless nights because of our own choices.

Top Bottom