C2W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
That would depend on your scheme. It wouldn't go direct to HMRC if you were paying FMV, but it might go to a third party such as CycleScheme, possibly. If it went to your employers, that could be a profit, depending on the details of your company's scheme and the level of monthly payments, for instance.

Your employers should already be making a profit, though, of the NI savings at the very least.
Thanks for that Norm :thumbsup:
The company i work for used bike2work last year and this year when i asked about a further bike they pulled their face to say the least quoting "it was always designed as a 1 bike per employee" scheme. Ridiculous attitude frankly. For example i had a road bike on the scheme last time around and quickly found as an all year round commuter that it wasn't much fun on the ice in winter. This year i am interested in a mtb for the safety aspect in winter mainly. Anyway, to cut a long story short they agreed to extend the scheme for a further 12 months.
I had the cheek to request that at the end of the scheme could the bike be gifted to us as a company benefit and that way we would be paying 20% tax on the benefit not on the FMV. A considerable saving in line with the spirit of the scheme. Hence my question Norm.
A further response from the company informed me that the scheme was fast becoming a pain in the backside and was getting more complicated by the day with cyclists of the scheme urging the company for gifts and if they gifted the bike to us then they would have to make gifts to other employees.
It all leaves a sour taste to be honest to the point of i'm thinking of telling them to keep the bloody scheme and i'll get one on finance from a shop instead.
I suppose there are only 4 or 5 applicants for it anyway in a company thats portfolio is global.

Norm

The idea that gifting the bike would mean they'd have to make gifts to other employees is, frankly, risible and easily ripped apart by the fact that you have already reimbursed the full cost of the bike to the company in your monthly rental payments / salary sacrifice deductions.

And, unrelated to C2W but following your thoughts on a new ride, if you're actually going to use it mainly for commuting, I'd recommend (based on my experience) either a rigid MTB or a cyclo-cross style bike if you are mostly on the road. And, if it is icy, MTB tyres are no better than road tyres. Get a bike that can take wider rubber and a set of studded tyres, but buy them now as availability drops come December.

Top Bottom