C3-C4 discectomy and fusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lower spine, double fusion with rods and cage. 5+ hours. 6 days in dock, 48 hours of which fully plumbed in with minimal movement.
I would seriously suggest at least 6-8 weeks before cycling, and pretty much zero for a week after hospital. And for the time you're in, keep still to minimise scarring.

L4/L5 discectomy, facetectomy and inter foraminal spinal fusion with rods and screws ,same as above plumbed in and morphine pump, 6.5 hour surgery out of hospital after 3 days and unfortunately still suffering,

do not be afraid to use the morphine pump ,

Attachments

• IMG_0303 2.JPG
    IMG_0303 2.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 61
Good idea. And as @roadrash said, use the morphine pump before the pain builds, keep comfortable and sleeping.

@roadrash sorry to hear your didn't work. I'd had 3 spinal decompressions done inside six months the year before, all bodged. Decided to go to someone who had a clue, and it worked. But crucial to the success, as far as I am concerned, is that I was in for six days being properly looked after. You can't rush this stuff, you need care afterward. The fusion was L3/4/5, plus a titanium cage.

Last edited:
[QUOTE 5207992, member: 43827"]There was a cancellation so I had the op on Thursday.[/QUOTE]
Bloody Norah! I was reading through the thread to get to the end to add my 'no real insights or relevant experiences to relate but good luck!' and then that!

Ah well, at least it means that the off the bike time is starting now when the weather is definitely a bit shite, and you might get a bit more lovely English summer time to ride in....

I would say from my experience with a bust elbow, don't rush to get back on the bike ahead of when your body tells you it's OK. It may be worth asking if there is other appropriate exercise that you can do sooner - I was told I could use a static bike/turbo, because one of the biggest reasons not to cycle was the risk of really nasty injury in a fall/accident. Also I couldn't indicate, which kind of precluded riding on the road! If there is something you can do it can help stave off the glump of not being out on your bike.

And if it is a physioterrorist-amenable sort of situation get the referral ASAP and listen to the torturer because it actually kinda works....

Katherine

Guru
Good luck with your recovery. Even if you can't get out on the bike I hope you can still stay active get out of the house.

Top Bottom