CAAD 12 for Commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey everyone,
I have been commuting using a Broadman hybrid for the last 4 years or so. I commute 25 Miles a day in total , 4 days a week.
I just bought my first Road bike - And that happens to be CAAD 12 ultegra. (Decided to go with CAAD 12 after lot and lot of research)
I am loving the CAAD 12 in terms of handling and response. It a fantastic bike! (Not sure how this compares with other carbon bikes.)

Because my main usage is commuting I purposely selected the Alu frame against carbon. Hoping it would take the load the abuse while parking and commuting.

But I am starting to think did I went for a wrong bike. Because CAAD 12 frame is so light it is kind of so fragile. I am able to see movement in the top tube if try to squeeze it with my fingers. not as bad as trying to squeeze empty coke can. but almost like un-opened coke can with gas inside. I am sure if I press it hard enough with my full power the top tube in CAAD 12 might slightly dent or bend. It is not that I am so strong - it seems like CAAD 12 top tube is so fragile

When I tried to do the same (Squeezing the top tube with fingers) on the other Carbon bikes in the store I was not able to see any movement.
ironically Carbon bike seems to be much stronger in my test.

Should I be worried? Should I return the bike and go for something more robust like CAADX or Pinnacle Arkose...
Having said that I did not like the appearance of CAADX or Pinnacle Arkose that is why in the first place to CAAD 12. (But I starting to realise Practicality is more important than aesthetics) I still have 3 and half weeks left in my 30 days return period :biggrin:

Please let me know your valuable thoughts. Thanking you in advance.

Is there any CAAD 12 owners out there ? do you feel the same?

Regards

Nathan

MiK1138

Veteran
I would be very worried if i could squeeze the tubing on any bike

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Are you sure you can squeeze the tubing?
I would take it back to the shop and show them how you can squeeze the top tube then immediately hand the bike back and exchange for something less squidgy!

Frames don't fail because of squidgy tubes, they fail from fatigue at the welds. Cannondale has been welding thin aluminum tubes for decades and recently went a quantum leap forward by having the frames manufactured in the east where robots and robotic humans do an excellent job - even better than the Americans themselves, at welding frames.

To get an aluminium frame to be as lightweight as what you were after in your quest for the best bike, the tubes have to be very thin in the centrespan area. There is no other way. However, a big fat thin tube is stronger than a small thin tube in the directions that matter to a bicycle frame.

Relax, your bike will not squash like a ripe banana. Go for a ride, take some photos and drink beer.

One more thing, once you've made a decision after such extensive research, stop the research upon purchase and start enjoying your new acquisition without remorse.

mattobrien

Guru
I'll give my top tube a squeeze on the CAAD12 when I get home. Having put the best part of 2,000 mile on it, I wouldn't describe it as at all fragile.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
the Ultegra groupset is pretty overkill for a bike thats going to be used just for commuting imo - Could have saved a bit of money and gone for something with a 105 or Tiagra (even a 105 is still overkill)

Parts are cheaper to replace and all that. I absolutely love the 11 speed ultegra though. Shifting is light and pretty effortless.

OP
OP
AndromedaTheM31

AndromedaTheM31

Regular
Thanks Everyone - your reply has given me confidence. I really appreciate your valuable response. I will continue with my CAAD 12.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Any bike can be commuted on....if thats what hes chosen then all power to him

Ive commuted this year on a custom ti with sram red/force and didnt once think it was overkill. Its his bike to do as he wishes.

If you want to commute on lower spec bikes thats upto you, but some people only ride by commuting and want to ride the best they can afford just for that purpose

Top Bottom