CAADX Frame/Fork with Caliper Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I apologise for asking what will seem blindingly obvious but I want to check my thinking.

My main bike is a CAADX frame and fork. I currently have cantilevers on there (Shimano CX70) with SRAM RED levers.

Having recently tried them, I would like to put a caliper brake on the front. The fork crown has what I think is the correct hole but having never fitted calipers I wanted to check. Picture attached. Thinking of Shimano 105 which Planet X are selling for £20 (front only)

20150401_090319.jpg

The rear brake bridge has no such hole and I'd leave the rear Canti in place.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member

Last edited:
Just this week I fitted a cantilver fork mounted cable hanger thingy to my cx forks to replace a stem mounted one. I found I had to drill the back of the forks with a 8mm drill to get the shanked nut in. The bolt went through the front ok. Also because they were beefed up cx forks the standard shanked nut supplied was too short so fitted the longest I could find. ( 105 brake should come with a selection I think so you may be ok) Being CX forks you will find the drop to the pads may be much longer than road forks ( the forks have to be taller to accomodate fat tyres and mud clearance) so you might need long drop brakes. I would buy locally so you can take them back if needed unless you can find a tech doc on shimano site to find the drop from nut to pad.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Thanks for that, yes the reach required would be 75mm.

On that basis I think I'll leave the CX70s in place. They're not too bad.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
haha, thanks Pete nice image ...

Leaving well alone, while quietly looking at road bikes when the missus isn't watching.

I DO like my bike though, set up really well for me. Are there better alternatives to the CX70 ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Why don't you try some Mini V's.

I have TRP CX 9's and they are spot on and very powerful esp' with 72mm pads (they come with std length road pads).

Not sure if you need CX 9's or CX 8.4's with SRAM levers though (differeing pull ratios). TRP website will put you straight.

You do lose the mud clearance of canti's as they run very close to the rim but they will stop you. Mine stop faster (and I am heavy) than a couple of lightweight friends who have bikes with Ultegra/DA calipers. Possibly also helped by the fact that I also have wider tyres than them.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
TRP website says 8.4 with SRAM levers, thanks I'll have a ponder.

Just stripped and serviced the CX70s though, replaced the pads and set them up again much closer to the rims - they awesome again.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
TRP website says 8.4 with SRAM levers, thanks I'll have a ponder.

Just stripped and serviced the CX70s though, replaced the pads and set them up again much closer to the rims - they awesome again.

@RhythMick

if they are working well then no need to change.

NB: if you ever get any of the dreaded canti shudder then Mini- V's will fix it.

Very good price here btw:

http://www.condorcycles.com/Brakes/...currency=GBP&gclid=CKe39IvM1cQCFeiE2wodoXAANA

Top Bottom