Cabling question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently acquired a Cannondale R400 with Shimano Sora shifters & Tiagra derailleur. The rear shifter cable is very tight/short and I can't turn the front wheel very far because the cable stops the rotation. In looking at this problem I noticed that the front and rear cables cross under the frame. That doesn't seem right. It looks like if I took the cables loose and rerouted them so that they do not cross it would give extra length to the short cable and help with this problem. I also want to raise the handle bar but I can't because of this short cable. So, is it supposed to NOT cross under the frame, or do I need to leave it crossed and install a new cable? THANKS
bike cables.JPG

C R

Guru
How does that work, are the front and rear derailleur cables routed via the wrong channel in the guide under the bottom bracket? I would expect the rear derailleur cable to be routed down the right hand side, passing through the channel on the side of the chainring, and the front derailleur cable down the other side, without crossing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Lots of people cross the cables this way (me included), it can make the routing around the headtube much tidier and give a better line for the cables.
Sounds like whoever cabled your bike got a bit carried away and made them too short.
Only options are to renew the cable casings from shifters to first frame boss, which will involve re-wrapping the handlebars, or put an in-line adjuster a few inches outside of the bartape and a new longer section of casing to the frame. Both solutions obviously require new, longer inner cables.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Seems like it’s been cabled wrongly. The cables have been cut short from the bars, when you are installing new cables you have to check there is enough slack to allow the bars full lock without stressing them.
i should remove them and start again using another R400 as a guide or use a YouTube video.

Sharky

Guru
How far does the handlebar tape go? If you have room to unwrap a few inches and let the cable loose a bit earlier, it might be just enough to allow the bars to be turned.

OP
OP
johnrussellcox
Lots of people cross the cables this way (me included), it can make the routing around the headtube much tidier and give a better line for the cables.
Sounds like whoever cabled your bike got a bit carried away and made them too short.
Only options are to renew the cable casings from shifters to first frame boss, which will involve re-wrapping the handlebars, or put an in-line adjuster a few inches outside of the bartape and a new longer section of casing to the frame. Both solutions obviously require new, longer inner cables.
Thanks!

OP
OP
johnrussellcox
How far does the handlebar tape go? If you have room to unwrap a few inches and let the cable loose a bit earlier, it might be just enough to allow the bars to be turned.
Only the brake cables are under the tape - I think I just need to replace everything and be done with it - thanks!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Consider a barrel adjuster for the FD cable, positioned just as the cable/outer exits the STI. You can have no idea (new to the OP bike) what the state of the gear cables/outers are so entirely reasonable to replace end to end. Can probably use the cut (and removed) rear one as the 'new' front one, if its condition is OK (ie no discolouration; no broken strands).

Top Bottom