Cadair Berwyn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Posted a bit about this in cafe, but in case anyone is interested here, yesterday we completed a fantastic, nay, epic ride in the Berwyns. It was 32miles and 5,700 ft of climbing. The ride had everything! Massive climbs, fast rocky descents, steep grassy singletrack, moonscape rocks, river beds, techy singletrack and a bog carry. We thoroughly enjoyed it although it was hard at times. We had perfect weather too. Anyway, if you want to see the pics they are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/sets/72157623927079692/ there aren't any photos of the gnarly bits as we were too busy riding them! If you want the route it's here: http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/CadairBerwynLoop.html

col1888

Kirstie

Looks awesome ! Cracking scenery. Are there plenty of campsites nearby ? Wot about other rides ?

Col

Bala isn't far away and I think you can camp there - there's also a youth hostel. There was a campsite further along the A5 at Carrog as well. The guy whose site we got the route from has a few others posted on there so I'd be keen to try those as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Now that's what I call a proper mountain biking day out! I have got so stale with MTBing in the last year because the club I ride with just does the same old routes time and again with nothing new. When I volunteer to lead an interesting new route in proper mountains nobody turns up; I think they are scared of having to shoulder their big FS bikes and carry them up a proper mountain.

For me mountain bikes were always an extension of mountaineering and a means to travel into interesting terrain, not for posing around trail centre cafes.

Absolutely!

The thought of being at the trail centres last weekend made me shudder, which is why I insisted on somewhere remote like the Berwyns.

For me mountainbiking these days goes hand in hand with narcissism which is why I have no time for the 'scene' any more. You're right that some of the people who do it nowadays aren't proper fit either. A lot of it is all talk.

I just ride my bike instead!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was increasingly disillusioned with the childish behaviour of one particular rider I know who throws his bike around in tantrums, as well as the drinking and the beer bellies, which seemed so incompatible with cycling, the ill-maintained bikes that always broke meaning everybody stood around shivering, the trail centre culture and the reluctance to try new rides in proper mountain scenery, the disregard for rights of way and the rudeness to anybody who took issue with riders on footpaths, the insensitivity of riders blasting past horses, not to mention the mud and the expensive wear to brakes and drivetrains - so many small things that added up to a big loss of interest after 21 years of MTBing. My growing disenchantment with the scene coincided with my acquisition of a beautiful, exhilarating road bike; I still ride the MTB but only with my family or on big mountain days out like Mount Keen.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Globalti said:
I was increasingly disillusioned with the childish behaviour of one particular rider I know who throws his bike around in tantrums, as well as the drinking and the beer bellies, which seemed so incompatible with cycling, the ill-maintained bikes that always broke meaning everybody stood around shivering, the trail centre culture and the reluctance to try new rides in proper mountain scenery, the disregard for rights of way and the rudeness to anybody who took issue with riders on footpaths, the insensitivity of riders blasting past horses, not to mention the mud and the expensive wear to brakes and drivetrains - so many small things that added up to a big loss of interest after 21 years of MTBing. My growing disenchantment with the scene coincided with my acquisition of a beautiful, exhilarating road bike; I still ride the MTB but only with my family or on big mountain days out like Mount Keen.

Reminds me of a recent 'Mint Sauce' in MBUK....like totally pushing the gnars to the core;):wacko:. Saw a bunch of guys at Innerleithen get off before a fairly easy section and push their expensive FS bikes down it-I love my hardtail:biggrin::becool:

Top Bottom