Cadence, Gearing and Comfort...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I've been hacking about on my SS bikes for a couple of months now and love the simplicity. I've clocked up many hundreds of miles, broken in a Brooks saddle, extracted bugs from both my teeth and eyes and waved merrily at the car drivers who have cut me up.
In that time I have been examining the readings on my Garmin as far as my speed and cadence goes and how comfortable I am feeling.
On the flat(ish) areas, or if the wind is behind me I feel most comfortable at between 82 and 88 cadence. At my favourite gearing of 46:16 this gives me a speed of about 18-20mph and I can pretty much keep this up all day. I have tried a few taller ratios (52:17 and 48:16) but find that I can't hold this taller gear on the flat or if the wind is heavily in my face - my cadence drops to the low 70s, my legs feel really heavy and I flake out very fast. It's. It pretty!
On the other hand, with the same gearing, if I come to a steep hill I find it more comfortable to drop my cadence to 50-60, stand up on the pedals and grind it out. If I try the same hill on my geared bike the same is true - I'd rather stick to a similar 77inch(ish) gear and grind it than drop a couple of cogs and spin the pedals faster. Even if this puts me at my same comfortable 82-88 cadence for the flats.
In other words, I like to spin easily on the flat but stand and grind on the hills?
Is this usual? I am aware that my fitness, stamina and strength have all improved over the last few months, but I still have the same comfort zones as far as cadence/incline is involved.
Thoughts and comments please.

J

Kaatje

On my gearing I'm pretty comfortable on a average journey (in traffic) of say 3/4 miles to maintain a pretty high cadence of 90-110. My gearing is shorter than yours though 42:16. I can pick up speeds of 20-24mph easily enough and as long as a hill doesn't have an extreme gradient, stay seated going uphill.

I'd much rather make a comfortable cadence on the flat and be able to cope with the odd hill than adjust gearing for a hill and spin out on flats. If that makes sense...

But I live in a flat city, if I lived in sheffield for example I'd probably feel differently. So maybe what is "usual" depends on geography?

Citius

If you are asking, is it ok for your cadence to vary - and is it ok to get out of the saddle sometimes - then the answer is yes to both.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The greater your comfortable cadence range the easier you will find it to get the 'right' gear. I ride either 43x17 or 43x18. I live in a hilly area (East Devon). I'm comfortable between 80 and 120 rpm cadence and can spin to something above 160 (it used to be higher but I'm getting older). Uphill, it's worth practicing climbing in the saddle, but there will be times when standing up and grinding is the only option.

Top Bottom