Cadence or wattage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I just want to do 10 miles as fast as I can ,
You'll never know until you get outside.

Borrow an actual bike and do a local 10TT. it's great fun, and you *will* ride harder than you ever have indoors. :smile:

just wondered if it's better to spin , or push a bigger gear slower .

This is not the same question as choosing to measure your training by cadence or power.

As others have said, power is the best measure of your training.

Using higher cadences to achieve the target power during training does seem to make it easier to achieve and repeat. Come the time trial though, there is more flexibility in doing the cadence your body happens to want, but again, as long as the power output is right.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't understand this "Watt" business. I thought watt was to measure electricity. Too technical for me.

Having spent a fair amount of time on a Turbo watching Watts,Cadence and speed. Try this, knock out say 400 watts at a cadence of 60 then try at 100. I find it a dam site easier to put out bigger watts at a higher cadence.( resistance the same different gears of course). If your a big chap then of course up the watts and try it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Having spent a fair amount of time on a Turbo watching Watts,Cadence and speed. Try this, knock out say 400 watts at a cadence of 60 then try at 100. I find it a dam site easier to put out bigger watts at a higher cadence.( resistance the same different gears of course). If your a big chap then of course up the watts and try it.

How long for?

Top Bottom