cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
yello said:
Interesting article about cadence in this months C+. I've only skimmed it as it only arrived this morning but, basically, some bloke (researcher type person) sez that we all have a natural cadence and it is often better to stick to that rather than try to change it, as this natural cadence is also our optimal one. Also, in some circumstances, it's better to have a slower cadence on bigger gears. As I recall, only TTing really benefits from a high cadence.

it was reading that article that lead me to posting this thread, the research appeared to me to be advocating pedaling slower to increase speed. that surely can only be by turning a bigger gear. i guess my point being is that whenever i see what appears to be a novice/new cyclist chugging along in the big ring, i feel like saying, give yourself a break drop onto the inner, spin and enjoy.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
i do around 75 - 80 on my college commutes

jimboalee

Oh, so it's a magazine article that is provoking this talk.

Magazines, cycling magazines in particular, repeat subjects on a regular basis.
As new research results come to light, the press jump on it and fill a few pages of their rag.

Often before on this chatboard it has been agreed that each rider has his/her natural cadence. Its physiology.

Much work has been done since the invention of the ergonometer. Some more interesting work never gets published, such as C Boardman's stuff when he broke the hour record.

I don't read C+. I have a quick flick through Cycling Weekly, but when I do, I see stuff that was featured years before, but this time round, there has been work done on 'state of the art' equipment. The results are usually the same - such as "Optimum rpm is an individual thing".

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
asterix said:
Nor I, if it's wrapped in a plastic wrapper. It's my protest against wasteful packaging.

Cadence? Listen to your body.

yeah i guess that is the bottom line, as ive stated earlier, if it feels right etc.

gavintc

Guru
However, many beginner cyclists grind away in a very high gear at a ridiculously low cadence. There is a balance here. Personally, I find something around 80 rpm works for me.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've found a higher cadence works for me these days in the region of 80 when pedalling and I can raise it to over 100 when I need to accelerate. My average cadence however is usually below 80 as I tend not to pedal downhill. In the past I probably had to low a cadence making it that bit harder to accelerate.

jimboalee

gavintc said:
However, many beginner cyclists grind away in a very high gear at a ridiculously low cadence. There is a balance here. Personally, I find something around 80 rpm works for me.

This is not a bad thing.

Performing 'Slow reps' is a good way to building strength.

Before 'compacts' and triples on sports bikes, it was a necessity and cyclists grew big, fast.:laugh:

yello

jimboalee said:
I don't read C+.

Well, might I respectively suggest you do before offering an opinion on the article! :biggrin:

The research is new and, in fairness to C+, they are suggesting that the recent years message of 'spin spin spin' might not be the answer for everyone.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I had my cadence sensor fitted for the first time in ages; my max Cadence was 160 and I regularly hit over the 100, for the last 10miles (out of 49mls) was 87 average but the average overall was only 76 (I freewheel a lot).

Top Bottom