Cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I've had my Garmin Edge 800 for some time now but only really used it for following pre plotted routes and as a speedo/odometer, recently though I've been using the cadence meter side of it to try to keep my pedal speed to around 90rpm.
What I'd really like to know though is there an optimum cadence to improve fitness/weightloss as I've been embarking on a bit of a get fit again campaign.
Many thanks and I look forward to all your replies.
Cheers Sean

I've never looked to lose weight but I think a HRM would be a better guide; I think, you could be somebody really fit spinning 90rpm no problem and not burning much energy or you could be somebody less fit also spinning 90rpm but with more effort and energy is burnt.

Alan Tullett

The main way to lose weight is to cycle (or do any other exercise) for a long time. The longer you go on the higher the percentage of fat is burned to keep you going. So choose a cadence and gear that enables you to keep going continuously for at least 1.5 hrs or more. Medium intensity + long time = fat loss. Then you just have to avoid putting it back on. That's the tricky part.

A high cadence is great for cardiovascular fitness (VO2max), but as mentioned not the best for weight loss.

Also as mentioned longer rides really help reduce excess fat. For me that's rides of more than 2 hours. Rides where I have to start to consider carrying extra food to keep going.

Alan Tullett

A high cadence is great for cardiovascular fitness (VO2max), but as mentioned not the best for weight loss.

Also as mentioned longer rides really help reduce excess fat. For me that's rides of more than 2 hours. Rides where I have to start to consider carrying extra food to keep going.
Hi, quite agree with you. I try and do a 2.5 hr ride every week mainly to build a bit of endurance and lose a little weight (I'm not overweight but wanted to lose 3kg put on over Xmas) before I do some high-intensity intervals with probably a mixture of cadence/gear combos. From my scales which measure fat, water and muscle percentages I calculated once that I lost about 0.5kg on a 2.5hr ride.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
High cadence will improve cardio-vascular, and make sure that your knees are in a good state so that you can cycle well into retirement.

Loosing weight? Only option is lots of time in the saddle. Whether that is regular big rides at the weekend, or daily shorter rides is up to you and your life-style.

Alan Tullett

High cadence will improve cardio-vascular, and make sure that your knees are in a good state so that you can cycle well into retirement.

Loosing weight? Only option is lots of time in the saddle. Whether that is regular big rides at the weekend, or daily shorter rides is up to you and your life-style.
Too true! Nothing worse than grinding a big gear for your knees. But football is worse.

Gbola

The main way to lose weight is to cycle (or do any other exercise) for a long time. The longer you go on the higher the percentage of fat is burned to keep you going. So choose a cadence and gear that enables you to keep going continuously for at least 1.5 hrs or more. Medium intensity + long time = fat loss. Then you just have to avoid putting it back on. That's the tricky part.
seconded

OP
OP
sean8997

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Cheers for all your replies, much appreciated, I work away from home a hell of a lot but where I stay I take my bike then cycle in from my lodgings which is a 5 1/2 mile trip there and back which when I start at 8 and normally dont get away till 8 in the evening is all I can really get done during the week but on the weekends I try to get out and do a good 30 miler, am trying to get back into it again though and up my distances and with it time in the saddle on the weekends. For some reason I lost a bit of interest after doing the Etape Cymru last year, just got to get the motivation back I suppose!!!

Top Bottom