Cafe lock recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikes etc had this as best in its recent group test but don't think wiggle sell

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/safeman-compact-pocket-cable-lock-prod4738/

This one came second, although I had an abus one that gave up the ghost although never used and just kept in saddle bag, so I wouldn't go for it myself (I got my money back from the retailer fortunately)
It does look a better design though

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-205-combi-loop-cable-bike-lock/

vickster

Legendary Member
It was one of those crap things that never worked for me, a right pain to set up as I recall too

MikeW-71

Veteran
It feels a bit flimsy, but so far it hasn't fallen apart or got jammed. Just need to remember to press the right button when you want to release it, and then the other one to let the cable retract.

I take pains to be gentle with it just in case :unsure:

simongt

Guru
For 'low risk' places like outside your cafe, a good quality key op cable lock will be fine. For all other occasions, definitely a high quality, key op shackle lock. Those of the crime prevention sect recommend spending about 10% of the value of the bike on a lock. I've never used combi locks since I was in a situation many years ago when it was dark when I came to get my bike and no lights available - !

buggi

Bird Saviour
I wouldn't have a key lock, you might lose the key. Just get one of those curly cable combination locks, the ones covered in plastic. I got mine from Halfords and at full stretch it goes thought the front wheel and round the frame and round a post. When curled it sits nicely around my stem. You would need a saw to get through it, or something to bust the lock, so I wouldn't use it if I was gonna leave my bike all day but its fine for going in a shop or cafe. Wiggle sell em. Less than £20.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it's still the same, the Halfords combination locks will fail if you give them the right sort of really hard pull. Even the maker only rates it 3 out of 10 - why sell stuff like that? I know someone who lost a bike that way :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't have a key lock, you might lose the key. Just get one of those curly cable combination locks, the ones covered in plastic. I got mine from Halfords and at full stretch it goes thought the front wheel and round the frame and round a post. When curled it sits nicely around my stem. You would need a saw to get through it, or something to bust the lock, so I wouldn't use it if I was gonna leave my bike all day but its fine for going in a shop or cafe. Wiggle sell em. Less than £20.
I think you'll find 10 seconds with bolt cutters will get through pretty much any cable lock, but fine for an in sight stop

simongt

Guru
If you're worried about losing the key, then keep it on the same ring as the other keys that if you lost them, you would be completely STUFFED; i.e., house keys, car keys etc..

Top Bottom