caffeine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Eat MY Dust said:
OK not striclty illegal, but you can still be charged for it. Do you consider it safe to drink hot coffee while driving?

Yep. I often have a coffee on the go when I drive. Given that I tend to drive with one hand on the wheel (on the motorway) anyway, and I can still scan the mirrors, the dashboard and the road ahead and still drink my coffee and maintain full control over my truck, yes, I'd have said it was safe.
I used to make cofrfee while on the move too, if the motorway was quiet enough. But I don't do that any more.:blush:

Rhythm Thief said:
Yep. I often have a coffee on the go when I drive. Given that I tend to drive with one hand on the wheel (on the motorway) anyway, and I can still scan the mirrors, the dashboard and the road ahead and still drink my coffee and maintain full control over my truck, yes, I'd have said it was safe.
I used to make cofrfee while on the move too, if the motorway was quiet enough. But I don't do that any more.;)

That's what people probably tell the cops when they get caught on their mobiles.

I've seen a couple of incidents now that could have been fairly serious where the driver has been attempting to go around RAB with cup in hand and another that nearly wiped me out as he very slowly (as he fumbled one handed with gears/stearing wheel) to make a right hand turn across my path.

col

Legendary Member
Eat MY Dust said:
That's what people probably tell the cops when they get caught on their mobiles.

I've seen a couple of incidents now that could have been fairly serious where the driver has been attempting to go around RAB with cup in hand and another that nearly wiped me out as he very slowly (as he fumbled one handed with gears/stearing wheel) to make a right hand turn across my path.

I think the cause of mobiles being dangerous is when people are trying to key things like numbers or texts,the talking part isnt as dangerous as is made out to be,unless turning with one hand,or we wouldnt be allowed to talk to passengers wind the window down,turn the radio on ect while driving.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

col said:
I think the cause of mobiles being dangerous is when people are trying to key things like numbers or texts,the talking part isnt as dangerous as is made out to be,unless turning with one hand,or we wouldnt be allowed to talk to passengers wind the window down,turn the radio on ect while driving.

no, the dangerous thing is with mobiles more than coffee is (a) your mind is on the conversation - you don't need to think about coffee to drink it, and (:wacko: you only need to hold a coffee for a few seconds while you have a sip, so you can leave it in the drinks holder and just pick it up when you're on a nice straight bit of road with no hazards like I do. A mobile you need to hold it until you've finished the conversation unless you've got a hands free.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The other thing about a mobile phone conversation vs a conversation in a car... is that the passenger can see when the driver needs to concentrate more... whereas the person on the other end of the phone can't.

col

Legendary Member
Even though i agree they shouldnt be used while driving,if your on the motorway and there are no obstructions how can it be more dangerous than drinking?Obviously in towns and busy roads is stupid,just as it would be drinking or eating ,but on a motorway?

col said:
Even though i agree they shouldnt be used while driving,if your on the motorway and there are no obstructions how can it be more dangerous than drinking?Obviously in towns and busy roads is stupid,just as it would be drinking or eating ,but on a motorway?

Exactly. When I worked nights and was feeling myself beginning to nod behind the wheel, I used to phone one of my friends who also worked nights to perk me up. It worked a treat, and you can still scan the mirrors, keep the vehicle in its lane and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front (which, at 3am on the north end of the M1, is about two miles away anyway). I'd never answer my phone in town, or on a busy motorway (and that goes for drinking coffee too), but when it's quiet there really isn't a problem.

Top Bottom