cairngorms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess we will have to suck it and see next year. However, it is a bit of a pain as accommodation will differ depending on whether we do A9 or (for example) A93. Currently we will be close to end of the day up to Dalwhinnie so plan is to stay in Newtonmore. We are quite used to riding what are perceived as "dangerous" roads around here like Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass etc so if we have to do a few miles on the A9 I think we could hack it
The hostel in Newtonmore is really excellent, as CC Ecosse can attest to.

However: I seriously wouldn't underestimate how busy the A9 gets, nor how fast the traffic is. It looks on streetview busy but innocuous - like Shap Fell or Snake Pass but unlike those it is the main arterial road for the entire northern half of Scotland. Its reputation as one of the most dangerous roads in Scotland is well earned.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The section between Dalnaspidal and Dalwhinnie is currently shut for maintenance so right now it's difficult to say what state it will be in for your LeJOG.
Someone (whom has credence) said yesterday in another place: "further to my previous comments about the crap bit of the NCN7/A9 route between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie... It's being resurfaced right now"
I did Blair Atholl to Dalnaspidal, and Dalwhinnie to Newtonmore in mid September (18th/19th), and it was a good surface the whole way. There was no sign of the route between Dalnaspidal and Dalwhinnie being closed at Dalnaspidal, or from the car driving southbound.

Dalnaspidal to Dalwhinnie I did the long way round, via Loch Garry, Loch Rannoch, Loch Ossian, Loch Laggan, Loch Pattack, and Loch Ericht. The surface on that route was generally OK too (on 37 mm tyres), except for about a mile of bog between the end of Loch Garry and the bridge near Duinish bothy, and for the last mile or so before Loch Pattack (track surface largely under the bog surface).

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
However: I seriously wouldn't underestimate how busy the A9 gets, nor how fast the traffic is.
The thing with the A9 route is that you're never actually on the A9. The closest you get to the traffic is the cycle track on the other side of the crash barrier, and for much of the route you're on roads parallel to the A9, or a separate cycle track

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did Blair Atholl to Dalnaspidal, and Dalwhinnie to Newtonmore in mid September (18th/19th), and it was a good surface the whole way. There was no sign of the route between Dalnaspidal and Dalwhinnie being closed at Dalnaspidal, or from the car driving southbound.

Dalnaspidal to Dalwhinnie I did the long way round, via Loch Garry, Loch Rannoch, Loch Ossian, Loch Laggan, Loch Pattack, and Loch Ericht. The surface on that route was generally OK too (on 37 mm tyres), except for about a mile of bog between the end of Loch Garry and the bridge near Duinish bothy, and for the last mile or so before Loch Pattack (track surface largely under the bog surface).
Thanks for the update. We will be taking the same route as you from Blair Atholl to Dalwhinnie (after which we will take the Military Road to Newtonmore) next year on our way to Boat of Garten

The thing with the A9 route is that you're never actually on the A9. The closest you get to the traffic is the cycle track on the other side of the crash barrier, and for much of the route you're on roads parallel to the A9, or a separate cycle track
My post was written while it was shut for resurfacing and people were diverted onto the main road.
Glad to hear that it's in much better nick than it was last time I was up there, might take a bimble up!

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Cycle track on the other side of the crash barrier [to the 60+mph super quiet A9 traffic]" Sounds idyllic. I remain a West Coast fan (instead).

Ajax Bay

Guru
You're joking right, the A82 and the A85 are abysmal roads to cycle on
Except that those roads don't have to be the choice. I only rode 18 miles on the A82 in 220 miles islands and highlands - to Dingwall. "Idyllic" nearly all the way.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31422396
The 8 mile stretch from Corran to Fort William was not good (and poor view of Loch Linnhe) (but is practically unavoidable, but at least one's speed and the traffic keep the midges at bay).

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Thanks for the feedback. I guess we will have to suck it and see next year. However, it is a bit of a pain as accommodation will differ depending on whether we do A9 or (for example) A93. Currently we will be close to end of the day up to Dalwhinnie so plan is to stay in Newtonmore. We are quite used to riding what are perceived as "dangerous" roads around here like Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass etc so if we have to do a few miles on the A9 I think we could hack it

if you ARE staying in Newtonmore you could do a lot worse than book the Newtonmore Hostel http://newtonmorehostel.co.uk/

@Edwardoka @Pat "5mph" and a few others stayed there on a CC Edin-Inverness ride a few years back, lovely place owned by cyclists who couldn't be more helpful - a very happy memory.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 8 mile stretch from Corran to Fort William was not good (and poor view of Loch Linnhe) (but is practically unavoidable, but at least one's speed and the traffic keep the midges at bay).
I thought you could nip across to the other side by ferry and then cross back over at Fort William? The road on the western side of the loch is very nice!

Ben Nevis topped by cloud viewed from A681.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
if you ARE staying in Newtonmore you could do a lot worse than book the Newtonmore Hostel http://newtonmorehostel.co.uk/

@Edwardoka @Pat "5mph" and a few others stayed there on a CC Edin-Inverness ride a few years back, lovely place owned by cyclists who couldn't be more helpful - a very happy memory.
Thanks for the tip but, having rejigged the route a bit we will be going another 20 miles or so to Boat of Garten. Newtonmore looks good for an afternoon coffee stop though

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought you could nip across to the other side by ferry and then cross back over at Fort William? The road on the western side of the loch is very nice!
I've ridden that back road coming from the west (Lochailort) and then crossing on the ferry to Corran and south to Oban. The challenge/problem is that the little ferry back across to Fort William from Camusnagaul is infrequent (4 times daily, 2,2,4 hour gaps) and NB does not run on Sunday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've ridden that back road coming from the west (Lochailort) and then crossing on the ferry to Corran and south to Oban. The challenge/problem is that the little ferry back across to Fort William from Camusnagaul is infrequent (4 times daily, 2,2,4 hour gaps) and NB does not run on Sunday.
That isn't so good and I have just read that the ferry only takes 12 passengers so there would be the potential to not get on even if you were there in good time for the ferry.

Slick

Guru
That isn't so good and I have just read that the ferry only takes 12 passengers so there would be the potential to not get on even if you were there in good time for the ferry.
My BIL skippers the Corran ferry and I've used it with my bike on a number of occasions and a cyclist would never be left behind and it takes a lot more than 12 passengers as it's a main timber route and carries a lot of heavy traffic in the summer season. There is a much smaller boat that takes you directly to Fort William that you may be thinking about.

Top Bottom