Calais to Gibraltar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim Jim

We first did this run in 1965 (honey-moon) and ,of course, before the motorways. We plan to go again next year (campervan this time). However, we'd like to re-trace our journey, but as the old road numbers have changed and towns and villages bye-passed, we wonder if anyone has done this journey, and still remembers the original route. Any information would be of great interest and bring back a lot of happy memories. Unfortunately my old map of the day has long since gone, and I would be starting from scratch so any help from you fellow bikers would be a God-send.

Best regards, Jim Jim. (ex two wheeler from Sheffield) First posting.

andym

Über Member
Presumably you can remember at least some of the towns you passed through, and some of the places you spent the night?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do you have a sat-nav? Most of them give you an option of choosing a cycle route (or is it a pedestrian route; haven't used mine for a long time). They certainly give you an option for avoiding toll routes, so that might give you some sort of a starter to tracing your 1965 route. You will of course need continental maps on your sat-nav. Or maybe Google maps route finder will be of some help.

OP
OP
J

Jim Jim

Hello, Brandane. No I don't have a Sat-Nav as yet (but thinking of getting one), avoiding toll routes would certainly be helpful as would Google Route Finders. I'll bare that in mind. Thanks for your help.
Regards, Jim Jim.

Top Bottom