Calais to Nice or something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi, just wondering is anyone here has done the length of France? I'm guessing a lot have. Is there a semi-official route taking in small gorgeous towns and villages, making the use of low traffic back roads like the TransAm? I did van-supported this year which some of you will scoff at, but it's the way to go! So I'm looking for a new "challange". So the next part of my question is, has anyone used a company which offers van-supported through France? Maybe someone can drive my car with all the luggage in? Thanks

Simon
http://webm8transamerica.blogspot.co.uk/

Brains

Legendary Member
You would have thought the French would have an equivalent Lands End/John O'Grotes, i.e. the two furthest extremities of the land, I however have been to the 'John o'Grotes of France' which is a car park on the Belgian border near Dunkirk at the back end of a mobile home site.

These is not so much as a sign there, nothing at all.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
oh right, sounds a bit dull. I don't really mind about having to start right at the waters edge like we did on the TransAm, it's more about just riding through a lovely part of the world for a few weeks. Did you do some cycle touring there then? or just went to see a carpark? ;)

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
, I however have been to the 'John o'Grotes of France' which is a car park on the Belgian border near Dunkirk at the back end of a mobile home site.
Not so very different from our own extremities then. The other end, Menton, is much nicer.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Oh right, there seems to be nothing which goes through the heart of the country (as an official route). I guess it will be fun to make ones own route. Would def' like to do the south coast from the french boarder with Italy down to the spanish boarder.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Oh right, there seems to be nothing which goes through the heart of the country (as an official route). I guess it will be fun to make ones own route. Would def' like to do the south coast from the french boarder with Italy down to the spanish boarder.
Try this - there is an award sanctioned by the FFCT that covers a Dunkirk Menton diagonal and some other cross-France routes - see http://diagonales.homelinux.net/adf/index.php. The site's in French. While it is not as well known as LEJOG, it is a well trodden route

robgul

Legendary Member
We rode Calais to Montpellier - see www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk and under The Journals/France section

Rob

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Cheers guys, I will take a look at those links. It's just a rough idea at the moment, but I guess that's how all adventures start!

Top Bottom