Calculating Calories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru

I like this bit
The Harcombe Diet” is the result of 20 years of research trying to answer the question “Why on earth do we have an obesity problem, let alone an epidemic, when we want more than anything else in the world to be slim?”

Then doesn't answer the question.

Man, there's some gems in that website:wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Question: Why get seemingly obsessed with calories?

U

User6179

Endomondo publish their formula for working out calories for sports activities - I thought others might like to see it - this is based on not having a HRM:

The formula looks like this: Calorie consumption in kcal = X kcal * body weight in kg * distance in km For instance, the factor for walking is 0.8.

For a person with a weight of 75 kg taking a walk of 5 km, the formula looks like this:
Calorie consumption in kcal = 0.8 kcal * 75 kg * 5 km
Calorie consumption = 300 kcal

I found Endomondo to overestimate for cycling , Strava I thought was closer to the mark.

jay clock

Massive member
Question: Why get seemingly obsessed with calories?
when I wanted to lose 3 stone (which I did and then kept off) I counted calories, worked on 2000 per day plus half the amount spent exercising, and it worked a treat. So not obsessing, but using it as a way to eat less energy and do more exercise. And by counting the cals you pretty much end up eating a more healthy diet in order to fill up on bulk

Cherrypop

If you've listened to the lecture, you'll know that the evidence is far from established. But, it's up to everyone to make up their own minds. I'm not here to tell people what to think, merely that there is an alternative to eating a processed and sugar-laden diet. And I don't see that advocating cutting out the junk can in any way be 'dangerous rubbish'. I'd give that label to the foods we're advised to eat.

If you've listened to the lecture, you'll know that the evidence is far from established. But, it's up to everyone to make up their own minds. I'm not here to tell people what to think, merely that there is an alternative to eating a processed and sugar-laden diet. And I don't see that advocating cutting out the junk can in any way be 'dangerous rubbish'. I'd give that label to the foods we're advised to eat.
There was a mix of things, uncontroversial facts presented in a way which made it seem new and other advice which was just a tadge bizarre. Ultimately, she's selling a book, not educating anyone with original research and the original research is out there if you want to go read it without Zoe's spin.

Last edited:

Cherrypop

Well, you have your opinion and that's absolutely fine. All I can say is that with 25 years experience in the NHS, several of which have been spent in clinical research, I can see that what she says makes absolute sense.
Tbh, she's simply taking the evidence that's out there and pulling it together to present the findings in a coherent way. These aren't her ideas that she's presenting but other people's. The evidence is out there that the advice we've been fed (no pun intended) about what we should be eating is seriously flawed. A doctor said to me fairly recently that type 2 diabetes will bring down the health service and I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately though, with the likes of the British sugar industry and Kelloggs sponsoring the dietetics advice, its a battle.

Last edited:
Well, you have your opinion and that's absolutely fine. All I can say is that with 25 years experience in the NHS, several of which have been spent in clinical research, I can see that what she says makes absolute sense.
Tbh, she's simply taking the evidence that's out there and pulling it together to present the findings in a coherent way. These aren't her ideas that she's presenting but other people's. The evidence is out there that the advice we've been fed (no pun intended) about what we should be eating is seriously flawed. A doctor said to me fairly recently that type 2 diabetes will bring down the health service and I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately though, with the likes of the British sugar industry, Kelligs
Sorry I edited my posts before you posted that.

Cherrypop

o
There was a mix of things, uncontroversial facts presented in a way which made it seem new and other advice which was just a tadge bizarre. Ultimately, she's selling a book, not educating anyone with original research and the original research is out there if you want to go read it without Zoe's spin.
That's my point, the original research is out there and unfortunately, it doesn't support the advice we're given. Zoe has never, as far as I can tell, claimed any of this research as her own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding her up as some kind of heroine but she does unpick what the media feeds us and helps the public to question what we're told.
I see no harm in encouraging this. Her advice is ultimately that we should go back to eating real food - meat and 2 veg and lots of it. I'm all for that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
o

That's my point, the original research is out there and unfortunately, it doesn't support the advice we're given. Zoe has never, as far as I can tell, claimed any of this research as her own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding her up as some kind of heroine but she does unpick what the media feeds us and helps the public to question what we're told.
I see no harm in encouraging this. Her advice is ultimately that we should go back to eating real food - meat and 2 veg and lots of it. I'm all for that.

But she has claimed ownership of "the diet" by naming it after herself making money off of its back. It has all the hallmarks of a fad diet.

U

User6179

I watched the last 20 minutes and she basically just saying that fatty foods are better than sugary foods and that carbs not fat is responsible for the obesity crisis.

Top Bottom