calf cramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richjb

Hi everyone.
I started cycling about 2 years ago nothing serious just local rides for fitness, commuting etc.I have a hybrid road bike but have always felt a bit uncomfortable whilst riding.I took some advice to raise my saddle and I feel a lot better, only once I've been riding for 45mins or so. I get cramp mainly in my left calf. Can anyone give me some advice on how to avoid it.:angry: Thanks

You don't say how old you are, but have a gentle warm up, drink enough water unless out on a short ride or commute, and stretch after a longish ride.

These were copied from an online site:

1) When exercising, warm up gently.

2) When warm, stretch muscles gently.

3) Massage the limbs most likely to be affected.

4) Don't get dehydrated - drink plenty of fluids before physical activity.

5) Maintain a balanced diet, appropriate to your lifestyle and activity level.

6) At night, keep bed covers loose. Anything that makes the toes point down can put strain on the leg muscles.

7) Quinine can be useful for night cramps. It is present in tonic water, in low doses.

8) Applying heat to tense or tight muscles can help.

9) Sometimes low sodium can cause cramp.

10) Stay active - innactivity due to prolonged sitting can result in cramp.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!

I went to my GP with the same problem. She asked if I'd looked-up the cramp problem on the web? I replied I had, but there seemed no conclusive proof as to the exact causes... "That's the case" she replied!

What I do know id that Dayvo has provided a good summary of factors of influence.

I'll add 2 more:

Cramp declines with fitness/conditioning. No doubt. Every spring forums are littered with Cramp questions as people dust-down their bike and go like billy-o as soon as the clocks change. I used to suffer very badly at early season TTs and club runs, I don't any more because I ride more all through the winter so my early season condition is better.

Technique. It was noticed by a club colleague that I rode in a vary "toe-down" style... if you think about it, this means my calf muscle is always highly tensed. Now I have a flatter-footed position I get cramp less. Also if you feel twinges, drop a few gears and spin rather than grind along in a big gear.

I'm sure your cramp will dissapear as you get fitter.

OP
OP
R

Richjb

Thanks for the advice. Maybe my saddle is a touch too high now?? and i'm riding a bit toe down. Although prior to raising my saddle I though most of the work was done with my thighs so the fitness issue is probably the main reason I'm cramping. I have straps on my pedals do you think proper shoes and clips would be a benefit.
thanks again
Richjb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Richjb said:
Thanks for the advice. Maybe my saddle is a touch too high now?? and i'm riding a bit toe down. Although prior to raising my saddle I though most of the work was done with my thighs so the fitness issue is probably the main reason I'm cramping. I have straps on my pedals do you think proper shoes and clips would be a benefit.
thanks again
Richjb.

It's always worth tinkering with seat position, small adjustments can have big effects, I always found this useful:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Straps help, but if you have regular trainers then your calves will be working as your foot flexes. Proper shoes and "Clipless" pedals such as Look Keo's or Shimano SPD/SPD-L's will make a significant improvement.

Top Bottom