Caliper brake problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just been setting up the brakes on my old boardman and i have problems.
The QR lever has play in it , although i have tightened it up it still wobbles .It does not operate correctly when i turn it to release the cable tension so i cant get the wheel out unless i undo the bolt holding the cable and when you turn it back the bolt head sits turned in towards the frame more than it should .

These brakes are tektro 730s ( i think) and are original on the bike from 2011 , and the cables are original but only ridden in good conditions although they do have a large flat spot where they have been clamped .

Sharky

Guru
Can't comment on the wobble you are getting, but in terms of getting the wheel out/in, i just let the tyres down.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Can you undo the QR lever to check it's not got dirt in there affecting the cam mechanism ?
Dismantled and cleaned the cam , when i put it back together it still is not tight enough , its like the cam is slipping due to the play in the screw eve though it is as tight as it will go .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dismantled and cleaned the cam , when i put it back together it still is not tight enough , its like the cam is slipping due to the play in the screw eve though it is as tight as it will go .

Might be new callipers. I've always had Shimano, and even their cheap ones are bloody good.

Could be wear !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano do good calliper brakes, and also QR wheel skewers - their QR Skewers for wheels are just super reliable (not the lightest, but they just work for ever).

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Might be new callipers. I've always had Shimano, and even their cheap ones are bloody good.

Could be wear !
2nd attempt, replaced the cam with one off an old brake i had lying around and seems to be ok now .

Top Bottom