caliper brakes stick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Hello my rear brake (caliper) appears to stick in place when pulled causing the brakes to rub if used.
I have tried putting oil on what appears to be the mecanisim but to no avail. Anybody got any ideas would rather not have to take it in to LBS.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The first thing I would suspect is the cable. Unclamp it and see if the caliper moves freely by hand, if so then a new cable will cure it.

llllllll

If your bike's only three months old take it back to the shop. I know it's a pain but if you start working on it you could invalidate the warrenty.

I've had similar problems in the past, in the end I had to strip down the caliper, clean, re-grease and put some more tension on the spring. Not a job you want to be doing if the bikes still under warrenty.

02GF74

Über Member
if it s 3 months old and you paid £ 100 then probalby no surpirse but if it was a grand, you have a right to be well peeeeed off.

if under warranty, take it back to shop.

otherwise you need to figure out what is keeping the lever in place - I would recommend the latter as you will learn how to maintain brakes and not be reliant on the shop.

it could be cable, problem with brake lever, probe,k with pivot, spring popped out of place, tyre preventing pad from moving etc ...l

bobg

Über Member
Mine was doing the same yesterday, it was a sticking cable. Now its fine. NB I think Tektro are OK but then I have weinneman on some of my old bikes:biggrin:

Top Bottom