Call blocker for your house phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The withheld number thing really winds me up as I can think of several organisations with whom I have regular contact whose phone numbers are withheld. Blocking them would be rather counter-productive. If I'm expecting a call, I answer it but if not I let the machine take care of it.

I registered with ... damn, can't remember what it's called but it's the thing that takes your number off the junk calls list, and ensure that my details are kept off the edited electoral roll register.

We do it for confidentiality reasons

If we phone a number and there is no answer then the fact it was a call from a Hospital or particular clinic identifies a fact that the patient may not wish to have known

It is the same reason that appointment envelopes are plain and not emblazoned with logos etc

Without them what would I do on a wet Sunday morning

They provide a few moments of fun between the ironing, housework and (hopefuly) a little light fettling

D

Deleted member 1258

Are you still able to have an internet connection at home without a phone line?

And just out of interest, how much for a massage? :biggrin:

We still have a phone line, we just don't have a phone, the BT line came with free evening calls, you can't not have that apparently, but we have no other call packages on it, costs about £15 a month a big saving when compared with our previous set up.
I believe you can get a wireless setup done by one of the the mobile phone companies, I'm sure thats my sons setup in his bedsit.

My son is with Virgin Media wireless with no usage limit and £26 a month

classic33

Leg End Member
I registered with ... damn, can't remember what it's called but it's the thing that takes your number off the junk calls list, and ensure that my details are kept off the edited electoral roll register.
Your details will always appear on one of the two versions available.
Where you want to be is on the edited version, not the full version of the electoral register.
This way you avoid your name being passed on to third party groups. Done by a quick visit to the electoral services of your local council.

You might like the BT8500 telephone which is equipped with Truecall. Block up to 1000 numbers, have a contact list of 200 numbers. It gets great reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Handset/dp/B00LZTHUEO

GC

BT are doing a sale on those ATM - here http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt...ail&utm_campaign=email220914&utm_content=XJ00

Personally I use a cheap Binatone answering machine on the landline and a mobile for close friends and family.

The TPS just seems to provide jobs for people who don't want to actually do anything.

brand

Like a lot of people, I was getting a lot of cold calls on the house phone, on average about 7 a day, it
7 A DAY. Are you exaggerating? That's a huge amount. Are you in the phone book? I'm not, could that be the reason? I have had about 7 in 8 years, probably less.

brand

[QUOTE 3392333, member: 9609"]The telecommunications industry must be high on the league table of the most vile loathsome businesses out there.[/QUOTE]
A bit harsh! I thought everybody was supposed to hate bankers!

brand

Without them what would I do on a wet Sunday morning
Go the pub obviously! Mind that's my answer to everything. It is a miserably day here. But I am still going to the pub in my shorts. That way I still have the pleasure of listening to people saying "can you cover those effing legs".

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 3392333, member: 9609"]The trouble with the "Truecall" is; it sounds a little like an answer machine, and as hospitals etc can't leave messages for confidential reasons, they just put the phone down, thus negating one of our main reasons for having a phone. Where as the man from "Microsoft Windows" (with his Nigerian accent) will give his name and proceed with the call - therefore you still have to answer the phone.

And another thing, the likes of BT make a fortune out of these nuisance calls, and now they are trying to make another fortune selling us gizmos to try and block the nuisance calls they are making a fortune out of, it's a win win system for them. The telecommunications industry must be high on the league table of the most vile loathsome businesses out there.[/QUOTE]

It's much more than an answering machine. And don't forget you have a white list of 200 numbers to which to add your hospitals etc so they'll always get through the Truecall barrier. If you have a friend or relative in BT you can get it from the BT shop at a employee rate.

GC

brand

I am beginning to feel left out why don't I get cold calls? Am I not worth cold calling. I have never had a Nigerian ring me. Arhh but I did I think have PPI ring me on my mobile and occasionally get texts from "have you been run over by bus recently" but I think that's mates. Either way its not right that I don't get cold calls. I want a cold caller...... just one a year no more!

Top Bottom