Calligraphy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd like to write a nice inscription in a book that's going to be given as a present and would like to find a bit of Calligraphy on the interweb.

I've had a look and can find fonts to download for £49.00. I won't be doing this.

Is there anywhere that will turn a couple of lines into something nice for free that I can print off tomorrow at work and then use to trace into the book?

Thanks in advance.

Melvil

PM me what you want to text - I've got a mate who does calligraphy / 'fancy writing' and I'll ping you a .png or a tiff of their stuff if that helps longers!

Mr Pig

My wife does calligraphy. If you want to send me the book I'll sort it out for you, although it might be too late now if it's a Christmas present I guess eh?

I wouldn't try it yourself if you've never done it, it's very easy to mess up.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Kind offers from you both, thanks :becool:.

I have PM'd Melvil to see if he can help.

Cheers Mr Pig, I doubt if the book would be with you in time for Christmas, let alone back here, but thankyou very much anyway. My fault as I did think of this about a month ago but have left it a wee bit late.

I had been hoping for an free online thingy but I guess this is unlikely as folks want paying for the time and effort they put into making these fonts. Not unreasonable really.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you make enquiries I bet you'll find a calligrapher living within a mile of your home who will be happy to earn a few bob.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Have you looked all through the fonts in Word? There are some nice ones...

There's one called Blackadder, I think, which is a bit Dickensian. and a quick look at the fonts on this computer suggest French Script might be good, or Palace Script...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
Most of the fonts in Word are pretty basic. Good fonts cost money.

Yes, but it's possible to go over the top. A neatly written personal message means the same whether it's in simple font, or a more elaborate one. In fact some elaborate fonts become more unreadable, in my experience. Sometimes, less is more. Last year I made my own Christmas cards and printed the message inside in Blackadder, and it looked great.

Longers, it's maybe getting a bit late, but do you have a branch of a discount bookshop near you? They sometimes have cheap books on calligraphy...

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks all, I know how to be better prepared next year.

Melvil's friend knocked up a few samples last night and I think one of those will be perfect.

Top Bottom