Calling Aberdeen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not sure where to put this. I want to take my Brompton from either Summerfield Terrace or Double Tree by Hilton hotel to Bon Accord Square. I do not want to cycle up Union St.or King St. I know where Bon Accord Square is, having been there by car, but looking at the map of cycle routes I cannot see any obvious way of doing this by bike easily without massive detours. I am not a city ( of any kind ) cyclist so any suggestions of a reasonable route would be welcome. Aberdeen generally seems to be ok with cyclists but this particular bit being the old city centre appears to be difficult.

alicat

Legendary Member
Don't know the local area. If it were me, I would put the destination in Google maps, click on the bike option and drag the route to avoid Union Street and King Street.

Not sure where to put this. I want to take my Brompton from either Summerfield Terrace or Double Tree by Hilton hotel to Bon Accord Square. I do not want to cycle up Union St.or King St. I know where Bon Accord Square is, having been there by car, but looking at the map of cycle routes I cannot see any obvious way of doing this by bike easily without massive detours. I am not a city ( of any kind ) cyclist so any suggestions of a reasonable route would be welcome. Aberdeen generally seems to be ok with cyclists but this particular bit being the old city centre appears to be difficult.
Cycle Streets says you can go along Littlejohn Street etc to avoid Union Street but its been years since I've been to Aberdeen so I can't vouch for the quality of the route.
https://aberdeen.cyclestreets.net/journey/61003433/#quietest

slow scot

Veteran
Union Street has a cycle lane all the way up from King Street; it's fairly busy but not too bad. The alternative routes are awkward. Personally, I don't think twice about cycling on Union Street.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input. I have driven up Union St. and seen quite a few stressed cyclists. I was trying to turn left for Bon Accord St and had a bike inside which I could see and was waiting for but he did not know that I could even see him. Thanks HLaB I will check that out further. This is really a once only trip and hotel gets booked for me but I have access to a flat on Summerfield Terrace. Parking is a problem there tho ‘ unless you pay council tax and can get a permit. I think I will just take the car and pay the extortionate parking charges among the lawyer’s beemers and 4x4tanks.

Top Bottom