1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Irish: paperwork/passport question

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fnaar, 7 Dec 2017.

1. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Dia duit, mo chairde.

For years I've been planning to get an Irish passport, and what with Brexit an all that, I think I really will. Both my parents were Irish, born there, met in UK and got married here. Dad died 32 years ago, and mum died 26 yrs ago ... I have absolutely no idea where their paperwork is these days!

I need copies of their birth certs ... only one (of 11) of my dad's siblings still alive, and she's in a home with dementia. I'm kind of estranged from my mum's surviving siblings (she was one of 10, I think only 2 of them left).

Any idea how I get hold of their birth certs?

Any advice/experiences appreciated

2. irish on the costa blanca

irish on the costa blanca day of war = warrior, day of peace = man of peace

http://www.gov.ie/services/buy-a-birth-certificate/

3. OP
    OP
    Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

4. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

You only need 1 parents documents if both were born in ireland itself. You need their exact date of birth, where they were born, their parents names, and professions if known, you also need your (either mum or dad's) last passport. It can take a while to gather all the info. Joining find my past and pay as you go may help you narrow the records search down. This will help you get their birth certificate.

You also need their marriage license, so you need to know where they were married, the exact date as well.. once you know that, you can apply to the correct district for a marriage cert for them.

All documents must be original, not copies. It can be a bit frustrating and time consuming..

Good luck

classic33 and Fnaar like this.
  5. irish on the costa blanca

because his parents are Irish all he needs is one long birth cert and the death cert of that parent, his long birth cert and thats all, no need for passport or I.D as the majority of Irish wouldn't ever of had either.

raleighnut and Fnaar like this.
  6. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

You can't download the passport application form either due to large numbers of people who want to go down the same route. Go onto the Irish passport application page. There you can send them an email asking them to send an application form to you and give the reason you think you are entitled to an irish passport. They will send an application form to you in the post.

7. irish on the costa blanca

apply to the embassy in London and not Dublin for your passport when the time comes.

Fnaar likes this.
  8. irish on the costa blanca

although you will need your Irish passport first, there is also the new credit-card sized Irish passport card which you can use for travel within the European Union/European Economic Area (includes Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland. For all other travel you must use your normal passport.

Fnaar likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

They'll refer you back through the route already given. If you were just renewing one, they'd be able to deal with it.

Fnaar likes this.
  10. irish on the costa blanca

people living in England need to apply through London, including Irish born such as me be it first passport or renewal you need to apply to the london embassy.

Fnaar likes this.
  11. Adam4868

Adam4868 Über Member

Just got Irish passports for my kids,did it all online and was back within 11 days.My partner did hers through the post office in Liverpool and did the check and send.

12. MarkF

MarkF Guru

I renewed mine maybe 2 years ago and did it at Liverpool, it was a post office in an upper floor of WH smiths.

Fnaar likes this.
  13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Payment as well, where two years ago it was payment in person.

Fnaar likes this.
  14. irish on the costa blanca

are you sure they didn't just check it then forward it on to the embassy in London,

15. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

My nephews and nieces have gone green, courtesy of their late grandma, my two are next and tlh will go for hers, thus the costs of obtaining the originals are spread across about 20 people.

I don't qualify. All my great grandparents were born in Ireland but I cannot find proof that my grandparents were even though family lore asserts at least two were. Guess I'll be in the long queue with the blue passport holders.

Fnaar likes this.