Calling all Irish: paperwork/passport question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dia duit, mo chairde.

For years I've been planning to get an Irish passport, and what with Brexit an all that, I think I really will. Both my parents were Irish, born there, met in UK and got married here. Dad died 32 years ago, and mum died 26 yrs ago ... I have absolutely no idea where their paperwork is these days!

I need copies of their birth certs ... only one (of 11) of my dad's siblings still alive, and she's in a home with dementia. I'm kind of estranged from my mum's surviving siblings (she was one of 10, I think only 2 of them left).

Any idea how I get hold of their birth certs?

Any advice/experiences appreciated

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You only need 1 parents documents if both were born in ireland itself. You need their exact date of birth, where they were born, their parents names, and professions if known, you also need your (either mum or dad's) last passport. It can take a while to gather all the info. Joining find my past and pay as you go may help you narrow the records search down. This will help you get their birth certificate.

You also need their marriage license, so you need to know where they were married, the exact date as well.. once you know that, you can apply to the correct district for a marriage cert for them.

All documents must be original, not copies. It can be a bit frustrating and time consuming..

Good luck

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You can't download the passport application form either due to large numbers of people who want to go down the same route. Go onto the Irish passport application page. There you can send them an email asking them to send an application form to you and give the reason you think you are entitled to an irish passport. They will send an application form to you in the post.

Adam4868

Guru
Just got Irish passports for my kids,did it all online and was back within 11 days.My partner did hers through the post office in Liverpool and did the check and send.

MarkF

Guru
people living in England need to apply through London, including Irish born such as me be it first passport or renewal you need to apply to the london embassy.

I renewed mine maybe 2 years ago and did it at Liverpool, it was a post office in an upper floor of WH smiths.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just got Irish passports for my kids,did it all online and was back within 11 days.My partner did hers through the post office in Liverpool and did the check and send.
Payment as well, where two years ago it was payment in person.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My nephews and nieces have gone green, courtesy of their late grandma, my two are next and tlh will go for hers, thus the costs of obtaining the originals are spread across about 20 people.

I don't qualify. All my great grandparents were born in Ireland but I cannot find proof that my grandparents were even though family lore asserts at least two were. Guess I'll be in the long queue with the blue passport holders.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
because his parents are Irish all he needs is one long birth cert and the death cert of that parent, his long birth cert and thats all, no need for passport or I.D as the majority of Irish wouldn't ever of had either.
What's the difference between a long birth certificate and a short one? Mine doesn't have any details of my parents on it (Would that make it a short one?) though it was accepted when I last applied for an Irish passport in around 1992.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the long one i think gives parents and an address etc but i can't remember as i haven't needed one for years, but it seems that what they ask for now.
because the world and her husband is applying. My money is on the rules changing before 2020. Maybe the UK will then sort out the frankly bizarre "please vote in our elections" rules... ;)

To vote at the UK general election you must be registered to vote and:

• 18 years of age or over on polling day
  • be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
  • be resident at an address in the UK (or a UK citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)
  • not be legally excluded from voting
The following cannot vote in a UK Parliament election:

• members of the House of Lords
  • EU citizens (other than UK, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta) resident in the UK
  • anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
  • convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
  • anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

classic33

Leg End Member
My nephews and nieces have gone green, courtesy of their late grandma, my two are next and tlh will go for hers, thus the costs of obtaining the originals are spread across about 20 people.

I don't qualify. All my great grandparents were born in Ireland but I cannot find proof that grandparents were even though family lore asserts at least two were. Guess I'll be in the long queue with the blue passport holders.
Any idea which County?

Top Bottom