Calling forum gun experts. How does a dummy firearm kill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m sure most of you have seen the terrible story about the death of Halyna Hutchins. I’m sure Alec Baldwin is feeling terrible and the technician responsible for the gun must feel awful too.
But how does a gun designed to fire blanks end up killing one person and injuring another?
Brandon Lee died in a similar accident on the set of The Crow.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Pratting about i suspect...

Tragic outcome.

Dolorous Edd

In Brandon Lee's case, the gun was not designed to fire blanks. It was a real gun, loaded with improperly-made dummy ammunition

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My question is why and how someone put a live round in a gun

I do feel sorry for Alec Baldwin - he must feel guilty as hell but was not at fault
They are designed to look like their genuine counterparts. Perhaps some pillock showed up to work with the genuine article to show it off and somehow got mixed up with the prop.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I do feel sorry for Alec Baldwin - he must feel guilty as hell but was not at fault

That's quite an assertion.

Apart from anything else, he presumably pointed the bloody thing at two people who he had no business doing so, and pulled the trigger on each occasion.

Perhaps the pair of them had failed to capture his best side.

Prop guns include non-working dummy guns, blank firing restricted guns and real guns firing blank ammunition.
Blank ammunition has a percussion cap, some powder and a wad of fibre to keep everything in place. The wad becomes a projectile and at short range can cause injury or death.
In the Brandon Lee case, the live revolver had earlier fired a live round with an underloaded powder charge ( a squib load) and the projectile stuck in the barrel. Later a blank round generated enough pressure to dislodge the stuck bullet and turn the blank into a live round.

I do wonder why these two were in the firing line ? Surely even with blanks you don't fire AT people ?
Given that the victim was the cinematographer, he was probably firing at the camera. Good practice should be for the camera crew to work the camera from a distance. You should never point any firing device at any person unless you mean to shoot them. The universally recognised gun safety rules are frequently ignored, often with tragic consequences.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given that the victim was the cinematographer, he was probably firing at the camera. Good practice should be for the camera crew to work the camera from a distance. You should never point any firing device at any person unless you mean to shoot them. The universally recognised gun safety rules are frequently ignored, often with tragic consequences.

Actors have been pointing guns at each other since the days of the earliest westerns - I should know.

Presumably those scenes are in compliance with safety protocols, whatever they may be.

Actors have been pointing guns at each other since the days of the earliest westerns - I should know.

Presumably those scenes are in compliance with safety protocols, whatever they may be.
It does seem that lions are a far greater danger on set than guns but horses seem to be the biggest danger, followed by cars then aircraft

Top Bottom