Calling IR (International Rescue), Calling IR....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
48x16 is what i am running and wished I`d gone to it before now! Steep hills I just grind up but will be faster once I lose some weight :rolleyes: Can tell you about Mr Whippet over the road from me, he rides fixed 52x16 and he is the quickest thing I have seen ever on my commute!

OP
OP
funk my fixie

funk my fixie

Regular
48x16 is what i am running and wished I`d gone to it before now! Steep hills I just grind up but will be faster once I lose some weight :rolleyes: Can tell you about Mr Whippet over the road from me, he rides fixed 52x16 and he is the quickest thing I have seen ever on my commute!

Now that is that sort of post I was hoping and expecting to have, thank you x

colly

Re member eR
I began riding fixed only a couple of months ago and use 44 x 18. That's a bit on the spinny side on the flat and certainly down hill and I may just put a small sprocket on the back to see how it feels.
I have a lot of hills where I ride, 20% is not uncommon, and so far at least I have managed every one I come across. It's is a slow grind at times but I've never felt I've been close to getting off and pushing. Which I find surprising really because even with a geared bike it can be a bit of an effort at times up some of them.
Either fixed must be more efficient or I'm getting stronger, probably both.
Downhill is interesting. Usually maxing out at 28 mph somewhere along the way.

D

Deleted member 1258

I began riding fixed only a couple of months ago and use 44 x 18. That's a bit on the spinny side on the flat and certainly down hill and I may just put a small sprocket on the back to see how it feels.
I have a lot of hills where I ride, 20% is not uncommon, and so far at least I have managed every one I come across. It's is a slow grind at times but I've never felt I've been close to getting off and pushing. Which I find surprising really because even with a geared bike it can be a bit of an effort at times up some of them.
Either fixed must be more efficient or I'm getting stronger, probably both.
Downhill is interesting. Usually maxing out at 28 mph somewhere along the way.

Your on the same gearing to me, 44x18 65 inch gear on 700cx28 with 165 cranks, its a nice gear that suits me, its a good compromise, I can get lively acceleration from the lights and climb well on it yet it doesn't compromise my top speed, 18-22mph, and descending is fine up to about 30mph, above 30mph it starts to get a bit too lively.

OP
OP
funk my fixie

funk my fixie

Regular
hi guys

just a quick thanks to those who gave decent ideas. I took their advice and went to see a guy (in a shop) who does track racing. He sold me a 13 T sprocket. I sorted it as soon as I got home and headed out for the inaugural ride on it. I decided not to push myself for fear of not being able to push it that hard and also I was worried in case I had difficulty controlling the bike. Anyway, on my usual route I managed, without trying, to increase my average speed to 25.6 mph........If I can do this without trying.......well I can't wait till tomorrow :smile:. Moreover, on the way downhill doing 33, (I don't take notice of the speed downhill as gravity is working harder than me at that point and any fool can hit 50 with mother nature on side ;) ) at least I looked like I was in control of my bike instead of the other way round. xx Next pay day I'm getting the straps for the pedals which I think was great advice cheers x

Top Bottom