Calling kindly gardeners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My friend is very sad about the state of his fig:

upload_2018-9-30_17-27-35.png

Wondered if anyone out there might have any ideas about what's ailing it, what he might do to cheer it up a bit?

Thanks for any advice.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Maybe over watered?

tom73

Guru
Take it it's the ground and its root's are confined ? How much sun get's to it ? How good is the soil ? How old is it ? How long has it been like it ?
Sorry for the question's just trying to narrow down a few things?
One thing to try as it won't harm it is give it a bit of a pick me up nothing too rich. Seaweed extract is great stuff for a general health.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Three things spring to mind . Over watered , fungal infection ( spray it with bayers fungal treatment ) Autumn ( its normal )

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks very much all. It's not too constrained by a pot - it's planted directly in the soil. I think it gets plenty of sun. Over-watered, I doubt it. Maybe under-watered...I'll ask him. And I'll send him that link - and maybe get him some seaweed extract. Can't hurt, right? Thanks again.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As a fellow plant owner i can sympathise with the OP's friend. Maybe the owner could feed their fig by putting banana skins and 'easy peeler' skins in the soil. I've been doing so for the last 4 months with my palm tree. That combined with the outdoor life (I had it inside up till May) has made its leaves not only a bright shade,but also point up which is a sign of a healthy palm tree,so i've been told.:smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nope. With figs you NEED poor soil and you MUST confine the roots for a start. If you let the roots run, you just get masses of foliage and no fruit. In times olde, they used old leather suitcases. Now it’s best to entombe the plant with five concrete slabs, then fill the planting hole with gravel, poor soil etc. Not compost. And never feed. If the soil is too rich it won’t perform. Maybe this is the issue. Treat them mean to keep them keen.

Reminder that autumn is on us too and we have already had a couple of cold nights.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Thanks very much all. It's not too constrained by a pot - it's planted directly in the soil. I think it gets plenty of sun. Over-watered, I doubt it. Maybe under-watered...I'll ask him. And I'll send him that link - and maybe get him some seaweed extract. Can't hurt, right? Thanks again.

No it's great stuff not so much a full meal but full of the trace elements. Great for root growth too. The only other thing is it's near a fence by the look's not alway's a happy place to be. The colder weather will not me helping it's more likely that and not a real problem. Fig's do drop leaves in winter anyway. Fig's need the root's confined and not a free run. Common way is dig a large square and line it with large flagstone's to make a box. then fill with a moisture retentive and free draining soil. John Innes No.3 will be fine . The frost will not kind to it either horticultural fleece is your friend.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There have been a couple of mornings with some early frost in some parts of the country. Also some quite cool nights. It could be a bit of damage from the changes in the weather.

Blimey! Just seen this thread, been cursing our fig tree, do it every year! Problem is it produces loads of figs, which never grow to full size and ripen. Anyone got any ideas?

Top Bottom