Calling Londoners...kids travelling on London Underground...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry yes it's 10yo and under not 5.
In regards to the Oystercard it's £5.00 deposit.

If you pay cash for say a quick tube trip in Zone 1 you will pay £4.00.
The same cost with an Osytercard is £1.90

yello

don't forget to swipe it when you get both on AND OFF trains etc or you'll be charged for the full distance the train goes.

And beware Docklands Light Railway! They don't (or didn't) use the same sort of ticket barrier - in fact, there are (were) no barriers at all and you have to find the swipe machine to swipe out. I got fined twice in the same day, once at the excel station and once at a city tube interchange. Basically, I didn't know there was a different type of machine so couldn't see where/how to swipe out.

I only realised I'd been fined when I went to swipe in at the tube and I hadn't enough credit. I took my card to the ticket office and when they explained what had happened (and I complained about it!) they refunded the 2nd penalty charge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes the DLR has smaller swipe machines. But there are plenty on every station.

220px-Oystercard_readers.jpg

Also if you see the barriers open at the end of the journey (this happens a lot). You must still swipe the card or you will be charged extra.

220px-Oystercard_readers.jpg

Also if you see the barriers open at the end of the journey (this happens a lot). You must still swipe the card or you will be charged extra.

The tricky ones are the transfers from rail to tube at Finsbury Park and entering the Drain at Waterloo, both of which have swiping in points that are easy to miss.

yello

Agreed... once you know what you're looking for!

It is (some of?) the tube interchange ones where you can get caught out. You might think you're only changing train (as you would from one tube line to the next) but - as I recall - you have to swipe out of the DLR to swipe into the tube - even though you might be at the same station. Tbh, I'm struggling to remember now... Bank, I think, is like that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Agreed... once you know what you're looking for!

It is (some of?) the tube interchange ones where you can get caught out. You might think you're only changing train (as you would from one tube line to the next) but - as I recall - you have to swipe out of the DLR to swipe into the tube - even though you might be at the same station. Tbh, I'm struggling to remember now... Bank, I think, is like that.

Greenwich also...

Top Bottom