Calling the Manchester Crowd - route advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

This is one for the Manchester crowd please.
I have a respiratory appointment next Monday at Wythenshawe hospital and will probably cycle there from Northwich area... I have put together a proposed route and was wondering if anyone could suggest easier/nicer/better roads or areas I should just avoid.... Not too fussed about the distance etc.. the appointment is not till 2pm, but home will be the more direct option (northerly route currently) due to the fact I probably won't be leaving until much later. I want to avoid major roads where possible, and will be using the garmin for directions (map will come as well just in case - my edge 500 can be rather slow at refreshing itself when on a course!).

anyone any thoughts please?
http://connect.garmin.com/course/5809202#

thanks
SNSSO

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
sorry, I don't go south of the Irwell.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Looks good to me. Some nice roads and you have avoided going through the centre of Wythenshawe which isn't all that pleasant and you have taken a similar route to what I would have suggested. @400bhp commutes through around that area, so will probably be able to tell you if there are any roadworks etc at the moment.

400bhp

Guru
Looks good to me. Some nice roads and you have avoided going through the centre of Wythenshawe which isn't all that pleasant and you have taken a similar route to what I would have suggested. @400bhp commutes through around that area, so will probably be able to tell you if there are any roadworks etc at the moment.

Good route.

I would probably use Bankhall Lane rather than Park Rd after you pass through Ashley, then meander through the back streets to come out on Wicker Lane. A quick left then first right on Shay Lane to rejoin your route, but it's much of a muchness.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Good route.

I would probably use Bankhall Lane rather than Park Rd after you pass through Ashley, then meander through the back streets to come out on Wicker Lane. A quick left then first right on Shay Lane to rejoin your route, but it's much of a muchness.
thanks - will have a peep tomorrow and work out road names. Know Shay lane because that is the one I drive when I have the car available...

potsy

Rambler
I'll watch out for you in the afternoon, will be leaving work at 2pm :ph34r:

potsy

Rambler
Can't believe i forgot about tatton being shut on Mondays throughout winter, it's the one day I never go that way on my joy rides :rolleyes:

jasonveryer

right,then meander through the back streets to come out on Wicker Lane. A quick left then first right on Shay Lane to rejoin your route, but it's much of a muchness.
weey

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks all... I successfully escaped Wythenshawe surprisingly quickly yesterday.. Arrived early, was seen early and escaped earlier. Was home for 5pm and had superb weather for the entire time... thanks for the route assistance.
Can't believe i forgot about tatton being shut on Mondays throughout winter, it's the one day I never go that way on my joy rides :rolleyes:

Missed that hot drink. didn't get one all day because the costa at the hospital entrance I use was, their coffee machine (and hence hot water for tea) was out of order! :wacko: never mind - my fault for not taking a flask with me and trying to reduce the weight I was carrying because of the 2 locks I had with me to leave the bike at the hospital! Still it was a beautiful day for a ride and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Luckily I have a consultant who is more than happy to see patients keeping fit and didn't bat an eye lid about one of his severe asthmatics cycling 25 miles each way to a medical appointment! At least I didn't have to bring a nebuliser home with me this time just some supplies for it instead! :laugh:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
if you're going to cycle through the centre of wythenshawe, do so at speed and do not stop.
unless you stop at civic market, the butchers there do tittertons pork pies and they're bloody lovely.

Top Bottom