Calls for the burka to be banned...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes. You are allowed to wear what you want.

The government should not be mandating what people are allowed to wear.

The French ban will get quashed by the european court of human rights.

The right wing will again push against the concept of 'human rights'.

The spiral continues.

But petrol stations are allowed to dictate that everyone takes off their balaclava\crash helmet, except burka's?
I think society could play this both ways. Everyone can wear what they want, or everyone must expose their face. No 'in between'.

I remember a while back that a burka wearing teacher got sacked from teaching because there was no way young children would relate to a pair of eyes in the classroom, which I can agree with tbh.

The thing that makes me object to face covering in the muslim community is that it appears to come from the men, rather than their religion. Either way, one rule for all, no exceptions.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm all for banning Burkah's in certain places, in much the same way as jeans and trainers.
It's a case of dress for the occasion

You don't turn up at a black tie do in a t-shirt, or a burkah on a nudist beach

However, walking down the street, you can wear what you like.
For those of you that were Rockers/Hippys/Punks/Goths etc in their day. If the Burkah is banned then so would your style of teenage dress

Jezston

Über Member
What he said.

Private individuals can have whatever dress code they wish on their property, be that smart shoes in a nightclub or no crash helmets in post offices.

No one should be allowed to define what I can wear in public or the privacy of my own home.

What he said.

Private individuals can have whatever dress code they wish on their property, be that smart shoes in a nightclub or no crash helmets in post offices.

No one should be allowed to define what I can wear in public or the privacy of my own home.

So in the case I highlighted above regarding a pre-school teacher, would it be the public school property that banned burka's? If so, just for teachers, or pupils as well?
I don't disagree with you, but sometimes situations get a little less black and white than they first appear.

Jezston

Über Member
Indeed. I guess employers can insist staff follow dress codes. I'd be happy to wear a suit should my employer insist on it, but they can get stuffed if they, or anyone else want to tell me what I can wear in my own time.

Top Bottom