Calorie count querry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sludgy

I have a Garmin cadence meter on the bike, as well as a Garmin heart monitor. When I ride without the heart monitor on I burn approx. 1000 calories per hour according to my Garmin 810. As soon as I use my heart monitor it drops to around 500 calories an hour. I know from checking on-line that someone of my age and weight should burn around 1000-1200 calories per hour - so whats going on with the heart monitor. How is it affecting my calorie count, and what can be doen about it??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Calorie counts are all guess work and treat as such.
1000 per hour is way too high.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I have a Garmin cadence meter on the bike, as well as a Garmin heart monitor. When I ride without the heart monitor on I burn approx. 1000 calories per hour according to my Garmin 810. As soon as I use my heart monitor it drops to around 500 calories an hour. I know from checking on-line that someone of my age and weight should burn around 1000-1200 calories per hour - so whats going on with the heart monitor. How is it affecting my calorie count, and what can be doen about it??
All HRMs do is sense heart beats, it knows not how/why or what is causing your heart rate to elevate. Therefore any calorie calculations derived from such, should be taken with a bucket of salt (not literally)

What is your average heart rate over this hour with your HRM strap on and how much do you wiegh?. I dont know what the garmin 810 is using as and average with no Heart rate strap on, someone may know.

pclay

Veteran
My Strava tells me I burn half the amount of calories that Garmin tells me. I think it is would be near impossible to burn 1000 cal per hour. 500 cal per hour is more realistic.

vickster

Legendary Member
30 calories a mile is my rule of thumb. No unreliable gadgets needed

1000 calories a mile maybe if you are a pro averaging 30mph in mixed terrain

If you are 100kg+ riding hard in hills, you could use 40 a mile

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
30 calories a mile is my rule of thumb. No unreliable gadgets needed

I think that's a very fair assessment.

OP
OP
Sludgy

Sludgy

Just checked again on 2 seperate cycling websites, and a guy my size - 102kg cycling at an ave. of 15mph should burn 1020 calories?? This is backed up by the calorie count on the Garmin as long as I don't wear the HR monitor???

My ave, HR is around 140 during rides.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just checked again on 2 seperate cycling websites, and a guy my size - 102kg cycling at an ave. of 15mph should burn 1020 calories?? This is backed up by the calorie count on the Garmin as long as I don't wear the HR monitor???

My ave, HR is around 140 during rides.
Ignore the calculators, ride your bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
Take the lowest figure and half it, that is what worked for me when staying in negative calories, during a 4stone weight loss period.

BrynCP

Über Member
I was calorie counting to lose weight and I used the Strava measurement as my guideline. I was deducting the strava count from my daily consumption to ensure I remained below 1500 calories a day.

For the same ride (1 hr 55 +/- 4 minutes, 29.7 miles and 1500ft elevation), this is how wildly different the calorie counters are:

Strava: 1116
Edge 1000 with HRM: 1485
Edge 1000 without HRM: 2086
Edge 500 without HRM: 2457

If you believed the Edge 500, and took advice that you should never go below 1500 net calories, you'd actually gain weight!

Last edited:
Top Bottom