Camberley, Kona Cinder Cone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Burnt orange colour frame, about 17" I guess. It's my niece's much-loved bike, and the second she's had stolen within the year. My mum is away on holiday, and the bike was in her shed, along with three others. Fortunately the thief was disturbed returning for the second, and there's another witness who saw him riding the Kona away. The police are being pleasant enough, but could be sharper - my mum gave a description including black Marzocchi forks, and got the "what do you mean by forks?" response. My brother is pretty sure he knows who the thief is, and there will be fingerprints on the second bike. Anyone got any experience of Surrey police and whether they're on the ball with this stuff?

e-rider

crappy member
In the eyes of the law it's a very minor offence - I doubt you'll have much joy with the police!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Burnt orange colour frame, about 17" I guess. It's my niece's much-loved bike, and the second she's had stolen within the year. My mum is away on holiday, and the bike was in her shed, along with three others. Fortunately the thief was disturbed returning for the second, and there's another witness who saw him riding the Kona away. The police are being pleasant enough, but could be sharper - my mum gave a description including black Marzocchi forks, and got the "what do you mean by forks?" response. My brother is pretty sure he knows who the thief is, and there will be fingerprints on the second bike. Anyone got any experience of Surrey police and whether they're on the ball with this stuff?

Happy to trog over to Camberley and visit the scrote with your brother to reposess. (I only do this for fellow Kona owners)

gary r

Guru
i live in camberley i will keep my eyes open,try driving round the Old Dean Estate,thats where my scooter turned up when that was stolen

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
i live in camberley i will keep my eyes open,try driving round the Old Dean Estate,thats where my scooter turned up when that was stolen

Thanks. My mum's house is on the fringes of the Old Dean, at the Kings Ride end. The geezer involved has been seen lurking about in that area, so probably doesn't live too far away...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Happy to trog over to Camberley and visit the scrote with your brother to reposess. (I only do this for fellow Kona owners)

:biggrin: That's very kind of you, Greg. He knows he was seen so he'll have ditched it. i will ring my brother tonight and see if there are any developments...

U

User482

Try the local Cash Converters et al. A friend recently recovered her stolen Marin by going round all the local shops of this ilk, with a photo and description of the bike. Cash Converters took the bike when it was brought in a couple of days later, called the police, and handed it back to its grateful owner.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
:biggrin: That's very kind of you, Greg. He knows he was seen so he'll have ditched it. i will ring my brother tonight and see if there are any developments...

Does niece have note/proof of serial numbers? Such evidence may be key when repossessing from the third party who bought a nice clean, but somewhat too small, cinder cone for £25 in his local pub car park...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Try the local Cash Converters et al. A friend recently recovered her stolen Marin by going round all the local shops of this ilk, with a photo and description of the bike. Cash Converters took the bike when it was brought in a couple of days later, called the police, and handed it back to its grateful owner.

FFS! they were doing that in the late 90's in Brighton when my first Kona got stolen. I walked past and saw it in the window two days after it was nicked. So I walked in and stole it back. My first ever repossesion.

Why the hell don't they ask for some evidence of ownership?

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Does niece have note/proof of serial numbers? Such evidence may be key when repossessing from the third party who bought a nice clean, but somewhat too small, cinder cone for £25 in his local pub car park...

She's 10, so might not have thought of it! My brother might, though. I'll ask him, and suggest getting down the cash converters.

Thanks.

U

User482

FFS! they were doing that in the late 90's in Brighton when my first Kona got stolen. I walked past and saw it in the window two days after it was nicked. So I walked in and stole it back. My first ever repossesion.

Why the hell don't they ask for some evidence of ownership?

In fairness to Cash Converters, they took the bike because they knew it was stolen - so they could return it to the owner and obtain contact details for the thief. They have an arrangement with the police, apparently. Whether this is something local to Bristol, or a national policy, I don't know.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyone got any experience of Surrey police and whether they're on the ball with this stuff?

Surrey Polis have admitted they have a problem with cycle theft. Or so I'm told by a serving officer. Perhaps one of these fine folk will help your niece recover what they refer to as a push bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In fairness to Cash Converters, they took the bike because they knew it was stolen - so they could return it to the owner and obtain contact details for the thief. They have an arrangement with the police, apparently. Whether this is something local to Bristol, or a national policy, I don't know.

In fairness to Cash Converters that is ruddy marvelous.

Top Bottom