Cambodia - to helmet, or not to helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
Calling all who have cycled in Cambodia! Husband and I are off a week today on a two week organised cycle holiday in Cambodia and we are in a quandary as to whether we should take helmets or not. We normally cycle tour around Europe and don't bother. I have asked the tour company but they have avoided a clear yes/no, nor does it state anywhere in their literature that helmets are obligatory. Please would you share your experiences and whether you felt a helmet was necessary. FYI - http://www.redspokes.co.uk/cycling_holidays/cycling_holiday.php?TOUR=Cambodia_Cycling_Holiday&ID=17
Thanking you!!

I have cycled in Cambodia twice, in the main cities and the major roads I wore a helmet, because the traffic in the cities and on the major roads can be manic also the conditions of some of the main roads were badly potted, if you rode into a puddle you had no idea if it was 6 foot or 6 inches deep, On the back roads I did not bother,just took my time and ambled along. Like here in the UK, you have to make your own choices regarding your own elf and safety. I do find a helmet can make my head very hot and streams the sweat into my eyes.
I would suggest however that you find out how your travel insurance provider views the matter, in case you do need to use make a claim. By the way you do know that the US dollar is the money of choice there, last Time I was there in 2009 everything seemed to cost 20US$, but the bargain was when a young girl about 13-14 years old tried to sell me her baby for 5 US$ in Siem Reap

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Calling all who have cycled in Cambodia! Husband and I are off a week today on a two week organised cycle holiday in Cambodia and we are in a quandary as to whether we should take helmets or not. We normally cycle tour around Europe and don't bother. I have asked the tour company but they have avoided a clear yes/no, nor does it state anywhere in their literature that helmets are obligatory. Please would you share your experiences and whether you felt a helmet was necessary. FYI - http://www.redspokes.co.uk/cycling_holidays/cycling_holiday.php?TOUR=Cambodia_Cycling_Holiday&ID=17
Thanking you!!

Done it and yes defiantly wear the helmet and yes if its with Exodus or Explore ( both brilliant ) you will have to wear one plus i doubt if you had an accident your holiday insurance would pay up.

Its a small price to pay. Enjoy it

OP
OP
BrazingSaddles

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.
We will be donning the hard hats! Couldn't see anything in the company's T&C's, but fair point about insurance.
It will be very odd holiday cycling on the tourers with no luggage to haul up cols...

frank9755

Cyclist
I wouldn't mind betting that the tour company's T&Cs require you to wear a helmet.

I bet you they don't!

To the OP, I'd do what you do at home. S-E Asia is generally a great place to cycle although, like anywhere, you can have the odd close pass or unfriendly driver. I've done a couple of tours with Red Spokes and they are a great company.

OP
OP
BrazingSaddles

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
Glad you enjoyed the trip, its sure is well worth the travel time to get there, and now I guess now you will be returning to the area another time. May I ask where in country you travelled was it in the South or the North.

We transferred from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, then cycled up to Siem Reap stopping off at various places along the way (Kampot, Kep Kampong Cham and Kampong Thom to name but a few). It would be a place we would love to go back to and it felt so safe that with a bit of research you could certainly do a DIY tour (not sure about wild camping though!), but, should the funds magically materialise for another once-in-a-lifetime holiday we would explore a new part of the world...
Our guide mapped out a route that he had recce'd including a couple of new ones that saw us travelling through villages where the inhabitants had never seen a white face. The smiles and hellos were priceless.
Hope that is of some help...

Top Bottom