Cambridge/Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I've just had my eyes opened :smile:

I commute round Sheffield and appear to be looked at as one of the few 'loonies' for doing this.

I've been away with the family, for the weekend, for a family wedding.

My 1st visit to Cambridge.

;):wacko:

Didn't even get into the centre. Stayed on Newmarket Rd and all the 'functions' happened in Fen Ditton and Quy

Theres only 1 phrase - cycling culture shock

Parked up to check the map and passed by half a dozen groups on bikes.

Now all I've got to do is either move to Cambridge or encourage a 10,000% increase in cycle use round Sheffield!!

Quy. Now that's a name you don't hear too often. I used to live there.

Certainly wasn't a cycling nirvana then (late 70s, early 80s).

Nice to hear that it has improved.

Hope Cambridge is nicer these days than the shithole I grew up in.

f

bonj2

Uncle Mort said:
I was at my sister's a few week ago and by the number of bikes it looked like Antwerp or Rotterdam. But it just might be because Cambridge is far less "bumpy" than Sheffield. Some of those hills hurt, so you'd have to be good to go up them on a sit up and beg pushbike!

Quite. I think I read one statistic that amsterdam (46%) is the only town that has a higher percentage than cambridge (31%) of cyclists who are actually cycling while asleep.

One of my friends daughters has gone to Cambridge Uni and was very surprised by the amount of cyclists there. She's even considering getting a bike herself, but as she's only 5 feet tall she's having difficulty finding an adult bike she can fit! And she doesn't really like the idea of tassels, a basket and pink wheels which I suggested would be perfect. :thumbsup:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are small numbers of commuter cyclists in the less hilly parts of sheffield (west before it gets mega hilly). The rest is pretty sparse though. I only ever see cyclists round here on the dual carriageway where the road quality is higher and you won't have someone trying to happy slap you.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
feckless said:
Quy. Now that's a name you don't hear too often. I used to live there.

Certainly wasn't a cycling nirvana then (late 70s, early 80s).

Nice to hear that it has improved.

Hope Cambridge is nicer these days than the shithole I grew up in.

f

Now I remember Stow-cum-Quy - well a name like that how could it be forgotten. :sad:

I used to enjoy Cambridge in the mid-late 70's. Don't recognise the Shithole description. And I used to get around the greater Cambridge/Herts/Beds/Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk area on my bike quite a bit. Great stuff too.

Top Bottom