1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcart

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by Piemaster, 8 Jun 2008.

1. Piemaster

Piemaster Guru

Trailers seem to be a regularly occuring question, so here is my review of my new Camcart

Cart is made from steel tubing, bends seem accurate and welds of a reasonable quality. Following the online step-by-step instructions on above site it went together easily, bolt holes lining up well but a proper 10mm spanner served better for assembly than the supplied stamped out steel plate multi-size thing.
    Instructions are included in the box but are in German. (Product is shipped from Germany).
    Very sturdy once assembled. I can't see that the 100kg as a handcart / 40kg for cycle towing would present any problem.

Small problems I encountered. The towing ball attaches to the bike seat stem clamp, the one on my Giant Escape is quite tapered where the clamping bolt fits and a trip to my LBS soon found one that suited better (see http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryDangerousday/BikeCartPhotos ).
    A bit of 'persuasion' with vice/hammer to close the 2 mount sides up a bit and then bolted it all together ready for its first trial. Incidentally packaging stated 12 bolts included - I only got 11 but due the clamp issue that didn't prove a problem.
    Cart does not sit horizontaly on its own supporting leg (would be in the way when towing if it did) when used as a handcart.

First trip was to local tip (about a 2 mile round trip) with the sturdy plastic bin of 90 litresfull of very damp (heavy) garden waste. I used luggage straps around the frame to hold on the large cardboard box the cart came in to take that away too. Towball arrangement rattles a bit over bumps, but it just served to remind me the trailer was there. It really does roll very easily with little discernable effect on bike handling.
    I found to my cost you cannnot drop 2 wheel trailers off kerbs at anything but 90 degrees (Doh!) when it fell over- luckily at the end of a dead end street.

I'm very pleased with it and can see it being used regularly. The optional plastic cover is a good fit (shopping? detach trailer from bike and take it straight into kitchen? Hmmm)

Supplier very friendly and apologetic over a long delivery time due to holiday periods in Germany but kept me informed, a sort of LBS type service. Also a thanks to my LBS - Cliff Pratt Cycles for help with the clamp and generally being a nice buch of folk even on a very busy saturday morning.