Camden Police to take Close Passing of Cyclists Seriously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Police in North London have started using legislation which means drivers caught passing too close to cyclists twice in one year could have their car confiscated and crushed.

Last night Camden police, who have already replicated West Midlands Police's (WMP) award-winning close pass initiative, armed themselves with Section 59 forms, a piece of legislation under the Police Reform Act 2002, which allows police to seize vehicles being used in an antisocial manner.

At a House of Lords event on Tuesday celebrating WMP's successful close pass operation Gareth Walker, of Greater Manchester Police, suggested the legislation as another way to tackle bad driving. Questions were raised over why the Metropolitan Police aren't yet running a similar operation across the force as a whole, which polices 32 boroughs in the capital.

http://road.cc/content/news/211546-...t-close-passing-cyclist-twice-year-could-have

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It can only be a good thing.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Welcome though this would be, I think it is a publicity stunt and nothing more. The Met have demonstrated time after time that they have no real interest in protecting vulnerable road users such as cyclists.
True enough.
But another point is that you don't really see that many police officers around TBH.
I know, budget cuts and all that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be fair though, based on my own experiences, most drivers where I go have been quite ok; patient and the like.
But it is a problem.
I'd hope that would go without saying. It's the careless few which need to be removed from the roads and this is a step in the right direction - unlike Norfolk Constabulary who have replied to requests to follow suit by spouting garbage about West Midlands Police. :sad:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I'd hope that would go without saying. It's the careless few which need to be removed from the roads and this is a step in the right direction - unlike Norfolk Constabulary who have replied to requests to follow suit by spouting garbage about West Midlands Police. :sad:
I agree.

Top Bottom