camelback podium chill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I traditionally use Specialized purist water bottles which features a coating to stop the bottle from taking on the taste of the liquid you place in it, this is important over time of making water, taste like just water once juices have been in the bottle. I really like the specialized bottle, its super flexible and really does its job. The only down side and its a pretty big one imho is that opening the drink valve with your teeth can be a little tricky at times.
After loosing a bottle I decided to try something different and that was the rather chunky Camel back podium chill, this bottle like the specialized bottle features a coating to stop the bottle aborbing The taste of the contents. The camelback podium chill is supposed to be insulated to keep the contents cooler for longer in heat.
The appearance of the bottle is one the is double skinned with a thin sheet of paper kitchen towel between the layers. The bottle is also slightly contoured and feels good to hold.
The drinks valve on the top of the bottle is big to avoid any spillage and has a soft texture rather like a child's dummy or baby's bottle. You can easily open and close the valve with your teeth and control the flow rate.
The real question was did the question regarding keeping your drinks cooler for longer stand up. To test this I placed a litre of water in the freezer for two hours to drop the temperature a reasonable amount and still remain fluid, I then measured out 500ml of fluid and put it in the podium chill, and 500ml of fluid and placed it in the specialized bottle.. I then proceeded to go out for a ride and did not touch either bottle, the bottle I was drinking from was in a jersey pocket.
Upon arriving home I tested the temperatures of the contents, which were identical, no difference at all.
I'm aware these are not scientific conditions but I don't cycle in a science lab any any difference should be noticeable in the real world. There might be a bigger difference as temps increase but its not going to get much warmer in the UK than the 30's it reached yesterday.

Conclusion......
The camelback podium is an outstanding bottle, feels nice to hold and great to drink from, but save a little money and buy the normal one as the chill, well its just not cool

Top Bottom