camelbak for a roadie(!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

halo

I'm looking at getting a camelbak or similar ( decathlon? ) for long summer rides. Anyone like to recommend a particular brand / model specifically for road use. Storeage isn't such as issue - would like around a 2 litre bladder and room for a couple of tubes / waterproof.

Cheers.

Monst

For the road, don't bother. You can fit all you need in your jersey pockets/saddle pack/frame mounted bottles. The smaller camelbacks/generic type packs that would suit, ie two litre - do not have the carry space. If you can get one with larger pockets then weight on your back, heat (sweatiness etc) becomes an issue.

The other tip I've learnt is look at the weather forecasts before you ride (not just the BBC!!!) Why carry a large coat/waterproof when its going to be fine, when a small gilet and arm warmers may do - and they can fold away tightly to fit in your jersey pockets.

I have a Leisure lakes branded hydropak for a bargain £15 quid some time ago and this takes a two litre bladder and has a pocket for some spares, but any spare clothing has to be straped under the saddle. The heat and chaffing/weight made it unbearable for the road, but mountain biking with frequent stops is ok.

LLB

I've got one, but I stopped using it as I didn't like the taste through the tube, was a lot of hassle cleaning it every time, and got very sweaty as stated above.

Not worth the money for a roadie, better with frame mounted bottles .

mondobongo

Über Member
Would not fancy having the weight of a camelbak on my back going downhill on the drops, possibly going to slide forwards given the different position on a road bike to an mtb.

If however you really want one.

U

User482

Dave5N said:
2 litres? 2Kg of water on your back?

Get some bottle bosses fitted.

Never found it to be a problem myself - I use one for touring, road and MTB duties.

LLB

I didn't find the weight a problem, but it was like any backpack a bit restrictive to wear.

Top Bottom