Camelbak or similar in cabin baggage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, has to go in the hold, as it exceeds the limits on the amount that can be carried.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Totally bad steer from classic33 I'm afraid. Empty liquid containers are perfectly acceptable, regardless of capacity, it's the liquid itself that's restricted. An empty camelbak is fine. It's only when you start leaving some fluids in mostly empty containers, then you have issues.

Totally bad steer from classic33 I'm afraid. Empty liquid containers are perfectly acceptable, regardless of capacity, it's the liquid itself that's restricted. An empty camelbak is fine. It's only when you start leaving some fluids in mostly empty containers, then you have issues.
+1

I've emptied a water bottle one side of security, and refilled it the other. Absolutely no problem with something empty that can hold water. They'd have to ban Ortleib panniers in hand luggage if that wasn't the case.

classic33

Leg End Member
Total capacity of the container not to exceed 1 litre. The size of most water bottles on bikes and both are primary purpose is for carrying fluids, unlike panniers. Waterproof/tight or not.

Last edited:
Can anyone point at an official document saying empties are fine, please?

I've taken one through twice but I wondered if I risked it being confiscated.
The document you have linked to only talks about restrictions on containers with liquids in them. No mention of empty containers at all. Hell, every bag and suitcase is a container without liquid in it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Can anyone point at an official document saying empties are fine, please?

I've taken one through twice but I wondered if I risked it being confiscated.

There is no official list or document saying what is allowed, that'd be pretty unmanageable as I'm sure you can imagine. If it's not on the restricted items list, it's allowed.

Yes i was amazed at that reply. If there was any grain of truth in it, you wouldn't, full of liquid yourself, be able to get on the plane.

Top Bottom