CamelBak things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Only on the recumbents because there's no downtube to put the bidon cages on :laugh: Seriously - I don't really like wearing a rucksac even for mtb biking and much prefer water bottles on the bike. Also, it takes a fair time and experience of using a Camelbak before you can gauge how much you're drinking - at first you're likely to return with it half full or run out half way around the ride (probably the better scenario if you're somewhere you can fill up) which isn't a problem with bottles as you can see what you're drinking.

But horses for courses - I know plenty of people who wouldn't get on a bike without their hydration system :smile:

I've used one for years and much prefer one over bottles, especially for mountain biking.

I find it easy to drink from, no reaching down for a bottle and no need to hold while drinking.

I can carry 3 litres and gear easily.

I no longer have to use bottles that get covered in trail and road dirt.

I use one for both riding and short hikes.

On the down side, you have to get used to the extra weight on your back and in the summer heat my back gets really hot. And roadies will poke fun at you if you use it on a road bike.

andyhunter

i used to use them off road then when i started racing i just used 750ml water bottles which only 1 water bottle cage on a mountainbike and took on board a bottle every lap.
i use two 750ml bottles for the road bike which does me for around 4/5 hour 100miler spin even though i should have 1 bottle every hour this is not possible when training by self :laugh:.
i would reccommend them if your just going to do leisure off road but if getting serious your better with a water bottle as it is a annoying weight and makes it awkward on the bike at times when hot.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've used a Mule for years on the MTB. Great for long rides, and when its really muddy. I really don't like drinking out of bottles covered in mud and slurry.
also changes the way the bike handles a lot, weight on the bike is very different to on the body.

Tried it on the road, but its just too hot for me. The wieght on the bike matters less on the road, and there's no Mud!!

Perfect for the MTB would be opinion

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks everyone. It is for road use but I only have one mount for a bottle. Hate the idea of a back pack - always feel unbalanced and sweaty - but the heat has started me looking for a solution. Are there other ways to get another bottle cage on?

andyhunter

SonofSid said:
Thanks everyone. It is for road use but I only have one mount for a bottle. Hate the idea of a back pack - always feel unbalanced and sweaty - but the heat has started me looking for a solution. Are there other ways to get another bottle cage on?

Could also go for the bottle cage mounted under the downtube or else now you can get a bottle cage that fits under the saddle or onto the seatpost.

some one mentioned above about muck/dirt covered bottle, all you do to fix that is a squirt a tiny amount of fluid out to clear lid and top. Then use your hand to clear away any stuff thats still there or blocking nozzle and also squirt the fluid into your mouth rather than placing your mouth around the bottle top then squeezing so you do not pick up muck and crap.

lukesdad

I use bottles with flip tops to avoid dirt problems.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got 2 cammelbak bags. i think they are awesome, but i don't use them on my road bike, too uncomfortable. Only use it on my mountain bike, 1.5l for short rides, and then i got a 3l one for the longer ones where i'm going deep into woods.

ASC1951

Guru
SonofSid said:
Thanks everyone. It is for road use but I only have one mount for a bottle.
You aren't limited to little 500ml road bottles, you know. Some cages will take a 1L lemonade bottle, which I would have thought was plenty on the road - in most areas you will have plenty of opportunities to refill it in the time it would take to get through that amount. No street cred, of course..

Or have a second non-brazed cage. Here is a completely OTT list of suggestions. http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

Fiona N

Veteran
Further to the above - when I had a Airnimal Chameleon there wasn't anywhere in the usual place for water bottles so I had a double holder behind the seat. Very convenient after you learn to get the bottles in and out blind :biggrin:

Top Bottom