camelbak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

ok so Ive got a few 100 milers (ish) coming up, and was wondering whether the camelbak would be a good idea for them as I could store more water in it, espesh if it is hot, as well as spares. Yes or no.. will it be too sweaty - although it does have pretty good venitaltion on the back side. Ive only ever used it on the mtb, but why not on the road bike???

bonj2

because it's too sweaty.

Moonlight

I use hydro systems, love them. But then I was used to wearing a pack from commuting, maybe try 30 or so miles with it and decide then?

gpx001

Über Member
I've tried a camelbak but never got on with it. Prefer to use bottles as I can keep tabs on how much (or not - as the case maybe!) I am drinking.

Jason

yello

I'm another that prefers the bidon. I've tried a camelpak thing but found it uncomfortable and sweaty. I think it's perhaps more suited to the mtb because the riding positions are different. On a road bike, it seems to sit on you rather than hang off you as it would on an mtb; it feels awkward, almost an irritation. That said, I've seen many roadies that do wear one so they've obviously gotten used to it. I can only suggest you give it a go.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Use two 1 litre bottles, then when you run out or get to a refreshment stop, fill them up/top them off.
I hate wearing a bag on my back, or even something big in my jersey pockets. Makes my back very sweaty and uncomfy.

dodgy

You wanna try sitting in a recumbent for several hours, then you'll know the meaning of sweaty back xx(

Best thing to do is try it, simple.

Dave.

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

Just tried it with a full load of water for about 8 miles and it was ok. I wont normally use it for short rides like that but for longer ones I think it'll be ok. Its the Rogue anyway, so its not massive or anything.

RedBike

Stick to bottles, camelbaks are great for MTBing but on the road bike they just get in the way.

You'll notice all that extra weight when you're in and out of the saddle on the climbs.

And on the decents the bag will probably be hitting the back of your helmet; espeshially when on the drops braking hard.

Top Bottom